23 Sqdn. DH Venom T5

Started by PR19_Kit, July 19, 2018, 04:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

I've been thinking about that cut and shut, although for a single seat Sea Venom, rather than an RAF one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 28, 2020, 02:04:48 PM
I've been thinking about that cut and shut, although for a single seat Sea Venom, rather than an RAF one.

I did one [EDIT: as an FB4] eons ago - still have it - and with the leftovers, a bit of plastic sheet and a seriously rubbed down Airfix Mosquito canopy built what I passed off as an NF10.  Was never as happy with it as I was the Venom FB4.  Got scrapped (not sure when) - I still have the tail booms!

I wonder if a 'Vampire NF12' would work?  Airfix T11 + Matchbox Meteor NF11 front end.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on June 28, 2020, 02:46:25 PM

I wonder if a 'Vampire NF12' would work?  Airfix T11 + Matchbox Meteor NF11 front end.

You'd need a hefty taper forward of the cockpit, the T11 is a LOT wider than an NF11. (I have bits of both right here to compare........... ;))
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on June 28, 2020, 02:46:25 PM

I did one eons ago - still have it - and with the leftovers, a bit of plastic sheet and a seriously rubbed down Airfix Mosquito canopy built what I passed off as an NF10.  Was never as happy with it as I was the Venom FB4.  Got scrapped (not sure when) - I still have the tail booms!

Easier to use a Sea Venom radome, or a cut and shut with a Sea Venom front end and the Airfix T11.

Oddly, the Meteor 11 nose will fit the Sea Venom with a modicum of splices.

And I'll throw a T bird conversion of the F-1 into the mix too., with bucket rather than bang seats and a Mosquito fighter canopy.  An FB6 style side entry hatch would be rather fun too.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

FROG Sea Venom radome profile Is pants, though!  Too blunt.

Yep get the NF11 nose issue, Kit.  It was after all designed to fit a tandem layout not side by side. 

But if as Lee indicates it could fit a FROG Sea Venom with relatively minimal work, and what this being Whifworld.....

Side entry hatch, Lee?  Crewed by Oompalumpas then!  P-39/early Typhoon-style car doors maybe. 
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

Quote from: kitbasher on June 28, 2020, 03:30:07 PM
FROG Sea Venom radome profile Is pants, though!  Too blunt.

Yep get the NF11 nose issue, Kit.  It was after all designed to fit a tandem layout not side by side. 

But if as Lee indicates it could fit a FROG Sea Venom with relatively minimal work, and what this being Whifworld.....

Side entry hatch, Lee?  Crewed by Oompalumpas then!  P-39/early Typhoon-style car doors maybe. 

I was thinking FB6 mosquito hatch and the side entry hatch into the Cranberries is small and low down.  I've sat in a T11 and they're quite snug anyway.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

There's quite a climb into both Mossie fighter and Canberra cockpits.  Know that having poked my head into Mossies during my time at the de Havilland Museum and flown in B2 and T4 Canberras.

The T4 is a pig to get in and out of as the 'passenger'; the seat hinges and tips back to make room for the nav and pilot to get in and IIRC one is strapped in with the seat in that position.  The B2 is roomier with just having the one seat up front and two behind.

Was shot at by a Leuchars Phantom in the B2, enjoyed a barrel role in the T4!

kitbasher

Me too.  BTW I've a PDF of the SAM article I can send if you like.

The Wooksta!

Aye, sure.  I'v the hard copy somewhere in the loft at me Mam's but where is anyone's guess.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 28, 2020, 04:23:59 PM
Aye, sure.  I'v the hard copy somewhere in the loft at me Mam's but where is anyone's guess.

Could you PM your e-mail address please Lee and I'll get them to you in the morning.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 28, 2020, 03:33:57 PM

I've sat in a T11 and they're quite snug anyway.

MASSIVE understatement there Lee!  :o

You ended up being very friendly with the pilot as your shoulders spent the entire flight rubbing against each other. I didn't dare think about what it would be like if we'd have had to eject................  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Sorted the wing joint break, sorted out various odds and ends, and it STILL looked rubbish, so I gave it a coat of primer before doing some PSR. It's actually not as bad as it looked in the silver, but it's still rubbish.

I'm now back where I was on this build about 2 years ago...................:(

Regards
Kit

Tophe

:thumbsup: Another victory of twin-boomers against evil powers... :wacko: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Love the look so far. One of the finest looking aeroplanes right there.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?