Started by Dizzyfugu, July 26, 2018, 12:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: crudebuteffective on July 26, 2018, 12:26:45 PM

may i just borrow/adjust  a line from another member

any aircraft can be improved by fitting contraprops

No probs!  :thumbsup:

And you're dead right too.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

It's plug-ugly compared to the RW Seafury but I'm looking forward to the result ;)

Doug K

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 26, 2018, 09:27:24 AM
Here's my specimen - compared with the engines above, it seems to be the widest: ~1.9cm diameter! And I matched it with the Centaurus cowling's rear end, they look very similar.

Red Roo Merlin power egg vs. Centaurus by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

That's a pretty perfect fit

Dizzyfugu

Isn't it? With the transplant the result won't be a perfect copy of LA610, but it's whifworld, after all. Should look purposeful!  :police:

NARSES2

Quote from: Doug K on July 26, 2018, 02:19:59 PM
It's plug-ugly compared to the RW Seafury but I'm looking forward to the result ;)

Me to and I do agree that contra-props can improve most aircraft  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 26, 2018, 04:38:48 AM
I suggest though you use a prop from a Shackleton, Spitfire props are too small in diameter.

Valid suggestion, since I tried the OOB blades. While they "work", the radiator opeing is so wide that they look ridiculously undersized, esp. for the big Sea Fury. I was happy to have a Novo Shackleton in the donor bank, and I replaced the with with the respective blades - looks much better and suitable for the aircraft!

Mossie

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 26, 2018, 11:54:26 PM
Isn't it? With the transplant the result won't be a perfect copy of LA610, but it's whifworld, after all. Should look purposeful!  :police:

Production version. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Work on this one slowly gains momentum. The nose section has been finished, even with a spinning contraprop, and I am working on the interior (cockpit will receive a different seat, a dashboard and side consoles) as well as on the wings (oil cooler interior, lowered flaps). Wheels will be replaced, too, with "something different". Not necessarily authentic, but the OOB wheels look weird. I will also replace the bulbous drop tanks with a pair of pylons and potentially hang a pair of bombs under the wings, together with the four OOB 3" missiles.

kitbasher

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 26, 2018, 09:49:10 AM
Go for it Dizzy --- spinner might be a bit small in diameter though ---

Here's another pic of LA610, I've got a head on view somewhere but I can't find it at the moment --

Such a handsome aircraft the Sea Fury, how did Hawker (a builder of handsome fighters (even the Typhoon has pugnacious beauty) manage to render the Griffon Fury so emphatically ugly??  Especially when the Sabre Fury is so elegant (cue my entry #3 for this GB).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Dizzyfugu

What's really handsome is the Fury prototype with a Napier Sabre (actually LA610, too, which formerly carried the Griffon) and the radiators re-located into the wing roots. :wub: A very elegant aircraft!

My ugly duckling made some progress in the meantime - here's the front end with the updated contraprop:

1:72 Hawker P.1019 Sea Fury Mk. XII (Whif/PM Model kit conversion) -WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The propeller from the Special Hobby kit is only intended for static display, but thanks to some holes and a styrene axis the thing now turns, in both directions at the same time - even though this only works when I blow from a certain angle into the blades.  ;)

Besides, the Red Roo engine seems to fit perfectly, I just had to cut the OOB front bulkhead away.

Beyond that, here's initial work on fuselage and wing parts; interior is, except for the floor, new; flaps were lowered, leading and training edges need serious trimming:

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 31, 2018, 10:10:48 AM

What's really handsome is the Fury prototype with a Napier Sabre and the radiators in the wing roots.  :wub: A very elegant aircraft!

Yes indeed, and they should have done the same with the Griffon engined one, it'd have been much more sensible.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2018, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 31, 2018, 10:10:48 AM

What's really handsome is the Fury prototype with a Napier Sabre and the radiators in the wing roots.  :wub: A very elegant aircraft!

Yes indeed, and they should have done the same with the Griffon engined one, it'd have been much more sensible.

And not just any Napier Sabre either, it was a Sabre VII which put out just over 3000 hp and the result when installed in the Fury was Hawker's fastest piston engine fighter (albeit it didn't go into service)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike