Ysi_maniac's Hawker Sea Rage

Started by ysi_maniac, July 27, 2018, 01:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

On last December I posted a pair of ideas that I want to conbine here: 

Napier Sabre Sea Fury

Hawker Sea Fury equiped with Hs293. Two different locations. Aft seat is for bomb operator. Not in constant scale however; bomb has been reduced to 75%. So a new reduced Hs293 equivalent must be developed.

And now a quick and dirty drawing of my project

Will die without understanding this world.

Knightflyer

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

ysi_maniac

Let me mention some issues here. Perhaps some of you could help me:

Did british studied any first generation of guided bombs like Hs 293 or Bullpup?

To guide a bomb like Hs 293 from back seat can pose a problem of visibility. Any way to solve it? To swap roles between crew members during guiding? To install a TV camera in bomb's nose?

Reducing size to 80%, 3 dimensions, would result in approx 50% reduction of weight.

NARSES2

I've no idea about British studies of early guided weapons, but I'd be surprised if having been attacked by them in WWII they hadn't at least looked at them seriously.

As for the view when guiding the weapon. I'm not sure if the view from the front cockpit would be much better, but the aircraft could just "circle" the target at a safe stand off distance whilst the navigator guided the weapon ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Bullpup was used by the RN, e .g. on board of the Buccaneer and IIRC also by the Sea Vixen. But it's probably too modern for the  Sea Fury's time frame?
An option could be a self-guided weapon like the Japanese I-Go bomb from WWII: it had a heat-seeking head, intended to be used against Allied ships esp. during the night, when ambient temperatures were low and hot parts like chimneys and exhaust gases be clear(er) targets. A true fire-and-forget(-and-pray) weapon, which would even make a second crewman obsolete. Maybe the FAA had developed such an anti-ship weapon, too?

PR19_Kit

The trainer Sea Furies had periscopes for the rear seated instructor to look over the head of the pupil, so that may give your weapon aimer a better view of the target?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Early on you have the Green Cheese glide bomb that would have been carried by Buccaneer, a bit late for the Sea Fury and too big.

There's a momentum bomb, the Bristol Tychon that's more in the Bullpup era.  It would have had flip out wings similar to Storm Shadow.

Another option would be the unguided Red Angel, kind of an old fashioned centre punch with flip out fins at the rear. This would fit the timeframe, unless you're looking at a COIN role?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Another structural idea, yet rather radical: drop the original wings and install F4U wings including the landing gear at a mid position (somewaht inspired by the B7A I am currently working on). This would free the underside for a glide bomb with stub wings (semi-recessed?), and should - overall - look pretty interesting...  ;)

another idea, even though I doubt that the Sea Fury offers enough space: how about a ventral gondola for a prone bomb aimer, e .g. something like the He 111's weapon station? The PZL 23 Karas had something similar. You could still use a two-seater fuselage (T.20 IMHO preferred), but then the bomb aimer would have the best field of view for the job. I am just uncertain if there'd be enough space for a decent guided bomb left?

Hmmm, makes me want to try this stunt out, though.  ;)

Mr.Creak

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 27, 2018, 02:34:08 AMI've know idea about British studies of early guided weapons
How about a "tweaked" Toraplane (glide torpedo) or Doravane (glide bomb)? (Dennistoun Burney & Neville Shute worked on them in 1939).
Or developments of the US AZON/ RAZON/ FELIX or GB-series?
What if... I had a brain?

ysi_maniac

When you mention/suggest all those weird projects, please include images or links to additional information. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Mossie

I tried to provide links but I can hardly find anything online I'm afraid, most of my info came from the BSP series, especially the Hypersonics and missiles book.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

Here you can see the bombs inspired in Hs 293, which is shown too. They are smaller than 293, allowing Sea Rage to carry both. I made two different versions just to enjoy.

BTW: Hs 293 does not have rudder, I assume that turning control is based on control surfaces on wings. What do you think, should I add a fixed tail fin or use rudder? Control surfaces on wings?

BTW: Here you can see (approx min 31) that TV guidance was loosely possible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HsmlI2bD-Q

zenrat

Nice glide bombs.  We should all do this more often - making our own weapons.

I would add an underslung vertical stabiliser.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..