Whirlwind Mk V

Started by NARSES2, July 28, 2018, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Undersides painted, start on uppers tomorrow.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

First of the upper colour's done, start on t'other tomorrow.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Major painting done and masking tape is off. Not to much touching up to be done so hopefully start on the transfers this weekend. Then it's the undercarriage and fiddly bits.

I wasn't particularly happy with the wheels for some reason so I've found some better looking wheels of the right size in the spares box marked "wheels and undercarriage  :angel:" and they were already painted, so bonus  :thumbsup: I'm also planning on opening the canopy as I've spent a bit of time on the cockpit.

She should be finished by the G.B. end date and then on to Telford.

NARSES2

No progress, but I did spend an age combing through a load of books to find a picture of a Whirlwind with an open cockpit. Could I find one ? Like heck I could  :banghead:

In the end I trawled the net and even that took a while, but eventually found a decent photo of one. Found a load of pics. of model ones but wanted a real one. In the end it opened exactly as I thought, but I just wanted to be sure.

NARSES2

I had a bit more to do in the way of paint touch ups then I thought I had. For some reason I masked the demarcation line on each nacelle differently  :banghead:

However she can now get her transfers and then undercarriage.

NARSES2

No progress as I've been away and then once back I have to get settled into things again.

However whilst away I spent ages thinking about where I've put the upper/lower camouflage demarcation on the nacelles. I've placed it quite high up (on a line with the exhausts) now whilst this does indeed mean it aligns with the lower line of the fuselage it just looks wrong to me. It might pass on a post War two colour scheme, but not a three colour one for some reason ?. Anyway I have finally decided to bite the bullet and will re-mask the nacelles tomorrow and repaint them. Then transfers can commence.

NARSES2

Every time I think I'm getting somewhere with this kit then it decides to stick two fingers up at me  :banghead:

I've sorted the nacelle camouflage out and thought, "nearly there" and went to fit the canopy. Lets just say it didn't really want to fit  :-\ Basically this was because of the "improvements" I've made to the cockpit. Anyway after a cup of tea I went back and had another try. I could just about get it on as long as I applied a lot of downward pressure. So out came the clamps and I glued it, clamped it and left it overnight. Took the clamp off this morning and the fit is o.k. but the clamp's left a mark on the canopy. Basically I can live with that, so onwards and upwards, perhaps transfers and canopy framing can start tomorrow ?

NARSES2

So canopy framing is done and I've started to put the transfers on. The national markings I'm using are from the spares box and all I can say is that you can almost make a cup of tea in the time it takes them to come off the backing paper  :banghead: Complete contrast to the RS ones I'm using on my other current build. Not sure who's they are, thought at first they were Revell, but not so sure now. Whoever's once they are off the sheet they are fine, but the wait  :-X

NARSES2

Well she's done, just needs her photos taken and a short explanation written and that's it.

She's got more problems then the current Crystal Palace forward line  :banghead:, but strangely I like her if only because I've managed to prove to myself that despite my current (and they are not going to get better) hand/eye co-ordination problems I can still tackle a project like this and most importantly still enjoy it  :thumbsup: So she will be going to Telford, probably have to hide away at the back, but she will go to the Ball.  :angel:

I'm thinking of doing another one in the New Year, but incorporating the lessons I've learned whilst doing this one. That will be the final development of the Whirlwind line which was used on anti-shipping strikes in the Aegean.

Captain Canada

Nice one. Looking forward to seeing more of her !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Westland Whirlwind Mk V of 137 Squadron, Burma, 1945.

No backstory for this one yet. I've the framework of one in my mind, but I've got a little to much on at the moment which means I can't sit down and work through it. Also I know Martin H did a Whirlwind development time chart with details of the various marks etc on it and it would be nice to tie mine in with that. Also I want to get the backstory sorted for an article in the UK SIG's Newsletter. I'll probably do it when I get the second one done that I have planned. So there are my excuses and here are the finished pictures.

TomZ

Looks very good in this scheme!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Very smart indeed Chris.  :thumbsup:

Looks good with those roundels too. There's something essentially RIGHT about a Merlin engine Whirlwind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The Merlins don't look out of place there Chris, nicely done  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Love that scheme too --

In a book called Westland Aircraft and mostly to do with Harald Penrose's experiences as a test pilot, it says the rear fuselage of the Whirlwind from just forward of the trailing edge of the wing to (and including) the fin was made out of magnesium (a non-strategic material back then), substitute all that for aluminum and a counter weight near the fin and it would work very well I think
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike