Whirlwind Mk V

Started by NARSES2, July 28, 2018, 03:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

You could add one of the engines you have removed from this one to the nose of another Airfix to give you a Whirlwind trimotor.
A Whirplewind?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 03, 2018, 04:32:07 AM
You could add one of the engines you have removed froths one to the nose of another Airfix to give you a Whirlwind trimotor.
A Whirplewind?

Sounds a bit like Vorpalwind.

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

She's not Italian  :angel:

Anyway to my surprise the nacelles just need a little Mr Surfacer 500 and that will be it, hopefully  :rolleyes: I can then attach the wings and I'll have an airframe  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Not as surprising as some might think, the length (& weight) of the engines is the biggest difference.

Specifications (Peregrine I)
General characteristics
(Data from Lumsden)
    Length: 73.6 in (1,869 mm)
    Width: 27.1 in (688 mm)
    Height: 41.0 in (1,041 mm)
    Dry weight: 1,140 lb (517 kg)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Peregrine

Specifications (Merlin 61)
General characteristics
(Data from Jane's)
    Length: 88.7 in (225 cm)
    Width: 30.8 in (78 cm)
    Height: 40 in (102 cm)
    Dry weight: 1,640 lb (744 kg)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

JayBee

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 03, 2018, 06:17:09 AM
You could add one of the engines you have removed froths one to the nose of another Airfix to give you a Whirlwind trimotor.
A Whirplewind?

He went galumphing back.

Brillig!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

Quote from: JayBee on August 03, 2018, 12:46:32 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 03, 2018, 06:17:09 AM
A Whirplewind?

He went galumphing back.

Brillig!  :rolleyes:

Someone will have to build a Jabberwock  to use as a target aircraft........ or  possibly a Jubjub bird......... or even a Frumious Bandersnatch.   Come to think of it, didn't Valom once do a Ground Attack Bandersnatch?  Kit may be able to find it in the great book of words.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Had a moment of truth yesterday. This is the first piece of major plastic surgery I've done since I was a teenager I think and it's been a steep but, on the whole, an enjoyable learning curve.

However after I'd assembled the wings yesterday and was admiring how well they fit, credit Airfix back in the day, I noticed that the port engine nacelle was out of kilter. It was angled upwards at probably somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees  :banghead: Looked even worse with the prop test fit to it. The starboard one was fine and whilst the problem wasn't obvious from head on, from an angled side view it was  :banghead:

First instinct was to fret about it and then ignore it. Get it finished, put it down to a lesson learned and then park it in a box after completion rather than take it to Telford.

Half hour and a mug of tea latter I thought "NO", bit the bullet, got the razor saw out and cut the offending nacelle off. It will go back on with a plastic card shim to bring it into line.

This problem was basically caused by my inability to cut a decent 90 degree line  :banghead:

So project delayed, but still ongoing and I'm actually quite proud of myself for doing the "right" thing. You lot are corrupting me  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

You are not alone.
With the wonky cutting that is.
I was corrupted years before I found this place.
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

Looking forwards to seeing more progress pics in due course, Chris.  This has really caught my imagination.  Love the Whirlwind and had a really pleasant experience building the Airfix kit.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on August 05, 2018, 03:44:03 AM
Looking forwards to seeing more progress pics in due course, Chris.  This has really caught my imagination.  Love the Whirlwind and had a really pleasant experience building the Airfix kit.

Yup the Airfix kit has been a very pleasant surprise and I have a couple of other ideas. Perhaps a navalised one, but with radials (I've asked the question on the dedicated Whirlwind thread http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,6954.msg817458.html#new) and even a two-seater nightfighter ?

I must crack open one of my Special Hobby ones to see how it builds.

NARSES2

The reset nacelle has had its first psr session and after some priming it's not as bad as I thought  :thumbsup: Might just need 1 or possibly 2 more psr sessions before paint  :thumbsup:

Have found I have the remains of an old Frog Hornet. So I'm seeing a late production Merlin engine'd Whirlwind used in the low level pr role looking all pretty in pink.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 08, 2018, 06:42:22 AM
Might just need 1 or possibly 2 more psr sessions before paint  :thumbsup:

Why do I tempt fate so ?  :banghead:

The p.s.r. was looking good and then I noticed something. The nacelle that I'd reattached was looking slightly longer then the other one. I put it on a nice clean cutting mat and sure enough it was  :-\ Only by 2mm or so, but I now know it's to long and as I seem to be breaking, or at least attempting to break, all of my bad habits on this build I decided I needed to fix it. So I've dug up an old spinner back plate from "the box" and it's the correct diameter, obviously ex Spitfire, and just about the right thickness. So it's been attached to the other, shorter one and filler applied. One step forward and ...............

Anyway it is the RAF 100 GB so Per ardua ad astra as some would say  ;)

NARSES2

I fear I'm letting this build get to me a bit so as there's time a plenty (famous last words) I'm going to park it for a day or so and work on something more straightforward. Then clear the bench and my mind so I can tackle this cowling and get it sorted.

NARSES2

P.S.R. ; P.S.R. ; P.S.R.  :rolleyes:

NARSES2