Area 88 1/144: Rocky Arrival (DC-3)

Started by strobez, July 29, 2018, 08:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Quote from: strobez on August 08, 2018, 09:16:33 AM

This baby is really starting to look like a plane. I'm a little nervous about what I'm going to find once I peel off the masking on the windshield... fingers crossed.

If you're anything like me, it'll look like Alice Cooper!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

Quote from: TheChronicOne on August 08, 2018, 11:28:57 AM
If you're anything like me, it'll look like Alice Cooper!  ;D

And then some!

Horrors.  I got the top coat of paint on and removed the windscreen mask... confirming my worst fears.

Not too bad from the side... but...

I knew the tape was wiggling around, but not this bad...

I tried to clean it up a bit, but I think I just made it worse!

I'm not happy, but I'm not quite sure what I need to do to fx it. So I basically just gave up and walked away for now. Hopefully in the morning a solution will present itself.
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

I'd have a go at it with sanding sticks... the uhh... ones... uhh.. plastic ones that have a spring in them (real technical, I know, I just too dumb and don't know names of some things  ;D   ) and use the sanding belts? One end is tapered into a V and you can hold it like a pencil and rub back and forth like an eraser and whittle that stuff down. This looks like the perfect job for 'em.

I've had great success with these on just the type of problem you have and what's nifty is they can be controlled well enough to keep you from slipping and gouging up the clear plastic. Just start slow and as it gets smoother you can "erase" a little faster and make headway. Of course, what works for one person may be a pile of bunk for another, but it's worth a shot? 

After, is another story... re-mask then spray again? Or hop on the grenade and bust out a hairy stick to paint the stuff back? That's all down to your preferred method. Such short spans are easy to make perfectly straight lines around cockpit windows with hairy stick but I can say this having built up quite a history of "practice" doing it.  :rolleyes: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: strobez on August 09, 2018, 09:09:18 AM

I'm not happy, but I'm not quite sure what I need to do to fx it. So I basically just gave up and walked away for now. Hopefully in the morning a solution will present itself.

And it's amazing how often in the clear light of day a solution does present it'self.

I've used very sharp cocktail sticks dipped in the thinner/cleaner appropriate to the paint you are using with various levels of success.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

strobez

It did... but by the time I got home from work and back at the modelling bench all that clear light was gone and I was back where I left it...

After remasking, repainting, remasking and repainting... I'm starting to get the feeling I should've just left it well enough alone to start. I'm starting to get that feeling like things are sliding downhill and there's nothing I can do but watch.  Having more or less given up on making the windscreen presentable, I started chipping away at the hairspray layer to remove some of the green paint. I may be taking too much off in too small an area... but I can't seem to stop myself.

This is annoying because I felt the project was going so well and it lurched to the left so suddenly I was caught off guard.

They're all learning experiences... right? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Thanks!

Greg

PR19_Kit

It's looking nicely weather beaten from here, and the windscreen would have been paint chipped around its edges anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Hardest thing with the hairspray method is knowing when to stop.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: strobez on August 10, 2018, 09:27:45 AM

They're all learning experiences... right? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

That's what I keep saying to myself with one of my current projects.

Quote from: zenrat on August 10, 2018, 08:30:52 PM
Hardest thing with the hairspray method is knowing when to stop.

I knew a couple of girls back in the late 60's who had that problem  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 11, 2018, 02:25:41 AM

I knew a couple of girls back in the late 60's who had that problem  :rolleyes:

Hehehe, yes indeed, you and me both.  ;D

When you were out on a date with them and their hair was taller than you it was time to be worried!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

Well... if you can't beat them, join them I guess.

I knew when to stop, but I went barrelling by the stop sign anyway and plunged right off the cliff. Truth be told, I was going to strip off the green paint, touch up the aluminum in a few spots and have another go... but then it got just ugly enough to be beautiful so I stopped (again) and decided just to go from here.

It might not be quite what I had in mind when I set out on this project, but I'm okay with that I think.  I'm still toying with the idea of another coat of paint and maybe just a tiny bit of chipping. But I'm going to give that some thought.

Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

I like that! It looks like an old warhorse that was never pacified. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 11, 2018, 11:25:35 PM
I like that! It looks like an old warhorse that was never pacified. :thumbsup:

Very much so. Seen a lot of tough service and still going strong  :thumbsup: