FV432 and all it's variants

Started by Weaver, August 01, 2018, 05:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: Weaver on August 03, 2018, 02:02:31 PM
So where might Britain have exported the FV432 to?
Another possibility would have been pre-revolutionary Iran, which raises the possibility of modified versions with home-made or Chinese weapons.

Just as controversially, you could Argentina instead of their M113's, before the Junta came in.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on August 04, 2018, 05:27:24 PM
Quote from: Rheged on August 04, 2018, 02:38:45 PM
Quote from: zenrat on August 04, 2018, 04:31:17 AM
Quote from: Rheged on August 03, 2018, 11:35:43 AM
At the risk of introducing thread drift, I have been given to understand that in the 1950's "Steak Centurion" was a dish served by tank crews. A lot of tinfoil and wet newspaper, a suitable location in the engine compartment and 12 miles across country (rare) to 20 miles (well done). Little sister has cooked a salmon in her dishwasher (full recipe on request) and Keith Floyd the TV cook once gave a recipe for what he called "Chicken Rolls Royce"  involving a Silver Cloud exhaust manifold.  Cooking time given in miles and rpm.

I've long wanted to try Salmon a la Fisher & Paykel but for some reason Mrs z has banned me from cooking in the dishwasher.
:-\

I'll get the precise details from my sister and pass them on.   Alison reckoned it was a perfectly poached fish!!

I have heard that.  I would be grateful for the recipe.
Thanks.

Zenrat, herewith the recipe as requested. My sister  Alison  reassures Mrs Z that it's perfectly safe and will NOT cause problems as long as you seal the fish properly.....she will even get the dishwasher cleaned out!

Dishwasher Salmon.
It's really a similar method to oven baking! Because the top temperature of most dishwashers is only 70C there's no risk of overcooking and toughening or drying out the flesh. Instead, the fish is cooked very slowly to a melting, slightly translucent flakiness. If you like your salmon very firm, this is not really the method for you. If you like it soft and moist, read on.

Of course, dishwashers vary in terms of exact temperature and length of program.  I did it with a large 4kg salmon, with a 70C (160F) 2.5-hour cycle:  the results were delicious.  You could always give it another  part  wash if you really feel it needs it.

Don't be tempted to use the eco wash for cooking the fish: this is no time for ultra-low temperatures!

How to do it

•   Prepare the salmon by seasoning the fish with salt and pepper inside and out, and stuff the cavity with lemon slices. You could use a sprig of tarragon too if you wish.

•   Oil a sheet of good quality foil at least twice the length of your salmon. Wrap the salmon in it, sealing the edges tightly and making sure there are no tears or gaps.

•    Wrap securely in a second layer of foil and seal with great care.

•   Lay on the dishwasher top shelf being very careful not to tear or pierce the foil.

•   Obviously, don't add detergent or try to wash any dishes at the same time. Wash on the hottest wash, including the drying cycle.

•   Leave to cool in the foil.

Preparing the cooled salmon

Once cooled, peel away the skin. Stroke away the brown, fatty layer with your fingers or a spoon. Use the foil to lift the fish on to a platter. Decorate with cucumber slices and/or herbs.

Serve with lemon wedges and mayonnaise.

This has to be the ultimate in thread drift......from FV432s to salmon cookery

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on September 26, 2018, 02:44:00 PM

This has to be the ultimate in thread drift......from FV432s to salmon cookery

Hehehehe, THAT'S for sure!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks Rheged.  Please pass on my thanks to Alison.
:thumbsup:

Now to persuade Mrs z it's a good idea... :o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

S&S Models do some 1/72nd conversion kits that might be relevant to this discussion:

Peak GPMG turret: https://sandsmodels.com/product/fv432-peak-turret/

Anti-IED aerials: https://sandsmodels.com/product/anti-ied-aerials/

Chieftain stowage boxes (widely 'borrowed' by other British Army types): https://sandsmodels.com/product/british-cheiftain-stowage-boxes/

Milan Compact Turret (as mounted on Spartan IRL): https://sandsmodels.com/product/milan-compact-turret/

Generic remote weapon stations: https://sandsmodels.com/product/modern-remote-weapon-stations/

106mm Recoilless Rifle: https://sandsmodels.com/product/recoilless-rifle-conversion-for-the-s-models-mutt/

TOW pedestal mount: https://sandsmodels.com/product/tow-atgw-conversion-for-the-s-models-mutt/

TOW Hammerhead mount (note that the wrong picture is showing on the site): https://sandsmodels.com/product/twin-tow-hammerhead-at-missile-mount/

Amazingly, they don't seem to do a salmon kettle.... :rolleyes: ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

NASA had M113s as emergency vehicles, both to carry firefighters towards a blazing launch pad and to carry astronauts away from it, after escaping the launch tower by zipline: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar-us-nasa-m113-armored-rescuer/

If any of the MUSTARD kits we've been promised ever make a showing, then presumably similar facilities will be needed by the British launch pad, so how about a modified FV432?

Assuming the MO was the same, i.e. the vehicle is left unmanned by the escape bunker and the first astronaut to reach it assumes the role of driver, then these are my proposed mods:

1. Dump any unnecessary clutter from the outside, such as smoke dischargers, external stowage bins and the like.

2. On the M113, the drivers seat can be reached quite easily from the rear compartment. On the FV432 not so much, because the commander's seat is also in the 'tunnel' alongside the engine, behind the driver. Since we don't need a commander, I therefore suggest stripping his position out and further de-cluttering the path to the driver's seat by removing the front right-hand bench seat (for a MUSTARD launch you'd only be talking about five guys anyway), and moving the batteries and radio racks from the right hand side of the tunnel to the rear sponsons.

3. Another problem with the FV432 is that, unlike the M113, the driver only has one periscope and therefore depends more on the commander (who we've just removed) for situational awareness. To remedy this, I propose removing the driver's hatch and replacing it with a fixed structure comprising four sheets of thick, fireproof glass with a steel top. This wouldn't open (too heavy) but the vacant commander's position would have a simple roof hatch to enable the driver to bail out through the roof.

4. To help the driver in getting into position quickly and lifting his seat to see out of the new windows, replace the hand-operated seat mechanisms that raise and lower the seat paln and raise the backrest with a pnematic system, powered by a small gas bottle in the right-hand sponson. The driver just pushed a button and his seat back springs up and his seat lifts up in one motion. Another button releases the pressure in the system to allow it to sink down again.

5. Nice coat of temperature resistant red paint and you're good to go.

You might imagine a pair of firefighting versions as well, with conventional driver and commander positions, but a big tank of foam in the rear compartment and a remote-controlled foam gun on the roof. The job of these vehicles isn't to fight the fire on the launch pad per se, but more to clear a path for the escape vehicle, i.e. they drive part way toward the pad and then create a corridor of foam spray for the escape vehicle to drive down.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

DarrenP2

how about
FV432 fitted with Blowpipe Surface to air missile?
FV432 Armed with .50 Browning

Weaver

Quote from: DarrenP2 on April 17, 2020, 10:13:54 AM
how about
FV432 fitted with Blowpipe Surface to air missile?
FV432 Armed with .50 Browning

Yeah, those all make sense. You could put the standard three-round Blowpipe, Javelin or Starstreak LML (Lightweight Multiple Launcher) in the middle of the floor and fire it through the open roof hatch.

A .50 cal on the commander's hatch might be a bit of a nuisance, given how close he is to the driver, but you could certainly put one on a pintle-mount somewhere around the roof hatch. Another option would be along the lines of the Peak turret conversion (circular plate over the main roof hatch with a one-man turret in it) but fit a ring, cupola or turret with a .50 cal. Of course, if you want to be bang up-to-date, you can nail a Remote Weapon Station to it, the same as you can with anything else.

EDIT. it looks like you CAN put a manual .50 cal on the commander's hatch, if you put it high enough. These stations on the Bulldog normally take a GPMG, but here's one with a Ma Deuce:

And here's one with an RWS:

And with regard to Rickshaw's comment about jungle maneuverability up-thread, note the modified exhaust systems... :thumbsup:

Pics from here: http://tank-masters.de/?page_id=1966 LOADS more there too, including lots of close-ups.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

- Indiana Jones