Area 88 1/144 - The Locust Raid (T-6 Texan)

Started by strobez, August 08, 2018, 09:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

I did indeed... it was a tight fit, but I got it done.  I misunderstood the Chinese-translated posting on eBay, so I ended up ordering 5 bags of 5 motors instead of just 5 motors as I intended, so you can bet there are 24 more projects waiting in the wings.  Well, maybe a few less than that... the DC-3 do-over will need two... and so will the combo Kamikaze Zero/Cessna project... ;)

Between orange LEDs and 4x8mm DC motors, I think I have enough engines to power the entire air group... :D

BTW, in case anyone is interested, I uploaded this project to my personal blog - http://strobez.ca/wp/index.php/2018/10/04/area-88-1-144-a-plague-of-locusts/ - The pics are basically the same, but you can follow the link to read several pages of the Area 88 manga chapter that this build is based on as well as a few of my overall thoughts on the build (that part's just the bonus!)
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Good job dude.
Once again i'm jealous of your ability to wangle electrickersee.

FWIW in anime world all locusts are a bright, almost acid green.   ;D

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

Thanks guys.  Y'know there's really nothing to the electric bits. It's just a tiny bit of soldering and a very little bit of math... not even the hard kind. ;)

If anyone is interested in reading the behind the scenes account of this build... or just wants to read the few pages of manga upon which this build is based, I uploaded it to my blog - http://strobez.ca/wp/index.php/2018/10/04/area-88-1-144-a-plague-of-locusts/
Thanks!

Greg

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

strobez

DISASTER! During general housecleaning, this model was jostled and one of the wires connecting the prop snapped! I didn't do the jostling, but the problem was really of my own making (aren't they all?). Because I got CA glue down the support tube, I ended up glueing the wires to the inside and thus couldn't glue the plane to the support, so it was basically sitting on the wires... which were slowly but surely being worked back and forth until one of them snapped, thus killing the propellor.

Luckily I think I can salvage the model. With some gentle pressure and a bit of fancy knife work, I was able to carefully take it apart without causing major damage.

Once out in the open, I was resolder the wires - which was actually a giant pain the donkey because they're so delicate I ended up breaking them during reassembly twice before I got it all stuffed back inside.

After reglueing I will need to repaint, but I think that is about it. No visible damage was done during the de/re-assembly.

Since I took it apart, I may as well fix a couple of other things.  First off was a lack of a decal on the base.  I know most of it will be covered, but it looked strange next to the other Area 88 1/144 project builds, with their be-decaled bases.  Besides, it might help seek the whole "swarm of locusts" idea.

And while I'm at it, I'll cave on the peer pressure from Fred and introduce some bright green to the mix.  The fact that all anime locusts are acid green aside, I like the contrast it provides.. ;)

Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

There now, doesn't that look more locusty?
;D

It's rare that people listen to my suggestions (can't say I blame em, most of them are facetious) so I may just bask in this for a while.

Woo hoo!

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

strobez

Just a final nail in this particular coffin... my re-touch went downhill and became a complete re-do...

I glued, sanded, masked, painted and assembled... all over again.  In the end I'm happier the Final final result.  Besides updating the base with a decal and making it look more... locust-y.... I also discovered that the first time around I cut off the exhaust pipe from the engine cowling (in 1/144 it looked a lot like a bit of sprue gate).  I also took it easier on the weathering and was able to escape without damaging the main coat of paint in the process.  Finally, I made sure it was attached securely to the base so that there (should) be no danger of having any internal wires snap.  The prop is on a bit straighter too... so... done is done~

If anyone's interested I posted the project up on my blog and included several of the pertinent manga pages, so you can read the story behind the build if you're so inclined...

http://strobez.ca/wp/index.php/2018/10/04/area-88-1-144-a-plague-of-locusts/

Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Fred

Scotaidh

That looks great!  I'd go blind doing something that small, so, yes - I'm jealous.  :)  Good job, you!
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Thanks guys. This one was certainly a learning process, especially after having built it, taken it apart, put it back together, taken it apart and then started over.  I felt like I built three projects, but when I look over at the shelf, I just see the one I started with... ;)
Thanks!

Greg

nighthunter

Did the machine guns.come with the kit or are they scratchbuilt?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

strobez

They're scratchbuilt using a bit of sprue and some styrene rod.
Thanks!

Greg

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*