Piasecki H-21 Workhorse. Victorian Air Service.

Started by zenrat, August 11, 2018, 04:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

b29r

Very nice build Fred, of the famous Flying Banana.  Paintwork and decal work are quite stunning.  May have to do something like this with the old Aurora kit in the stash.  Nice job!  :thumbsup:

Best, Kem

zenrat

Thanks Kem.
I just wish i'd checked where the rear wheels went before decaling.
I have more than a few choppers in my stash.  I need to build some more of them.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

KiwiZac

"Smart" is the word. Bravo Fred, she is a looker!

Quote from: AS.12 on August 11, 2018, 11:47:08 AM
There was an experimental model of the '21 which flew with paired T58 turboshafts, should the availability of Avgas affect your operations.
Awwww why did you have to go and say that, I've been umming and aahing for a couple of years over whether I should get one! Off to Google!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

zenrat

That's got me thinking about the CH-37 Mo Javey.  What could that have had in those power pods instead of the radials...
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2018, 02:23:10 AM

That's got me thinking about the CH-37 Mo Javey.  What could that have had in those power pods instead of the radials...

Funny you should say that, I was looking at the CH-37 kit that I've got and thinking the same thing. A couple of Chinook type engines there would almost be invisible in comparison with those BIG radials, and it'd lose much of character without them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 22, 2018, 02:34:37 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2018, 02:23:10 AM

Funny you should say that, I was looking at the CH-37 kit that I've got and thinking the same thing. A couple of Chinook type engines there would almost be invisible in comparison with those BIG radials, and it'd lose much of character without them.

What about putting a couple of paired de Havilland Gnomes in them, as per the Wessex? :unsure:

The CH-37's R-2800 Double Wasps produced 2,100 hp (1,583 kW) each, the Wessex's Gnomes produced 1,350 shp (1,007 kW) (limited to 1,550 shp (1,156 kW) total) each.

Looking at images of the two, the pods on the CH-37 don't look overly dissimilar in size to the nose of the Wessex, so you'd end up with 4 engines instead of 2, giving a total output of between 4,028 kW & 4,624 kW instead of 3,166 kW.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AS.12

The Westland studies for a UK-ified S-56 / H-37 involved a single Tyne or Eland in each pod.

They obtained a license to build the S-56 in July 1955 but the MoS wasn't interested.  After some jiggling-around of components they created the Westminster from the dynamic parts.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AS.12 on August 22, 2018, 06:11:18 AM

The Westland studies for a UK-ified S-56 / H-37 involved a single Tyne or Eland in each pod.

I bet Rolls Royce would have charged a FORTUNE to convert the Tyne to a turboshaft engine at that stage in history. Perhaps two Rotodyne engine nacelles turned front to back for the Eland version?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit