Washington B2

Started by JayBee, August 13, 2018, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

Way back in 2013, when I built my two Boeing Stratoseekers , thread here :

http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,38124.msg621975.html#msg621975

I was left with some spare parts. i.e. B-29 fuselage parts from the Crown kit and wings from the Minicraft kit.

At that time my thoughts were "What can I do with this lot". The obvious answer was a B-50, but they could only be RW but what if the RAF had got B-50's as well as/instead of the B-29 Washington B1's. In other words the Washington B2.

So the bits lay in a box until now!

Over the last few weeks I have done a bit of work on this idea. The first was get the new fin shape corrected.
This was achieved by getting correct shaped drawings for the fin.

The dotted line shows the shape of the fin in the Crown kit.
The next one up shows the correct shapes for a B-29 fin.
The final, largest, shape is for a B-50.

Then, after putting in a thin core of plasticard of the correct shape, it was PSR, and I do not want to even think about the number of R's.

In this last photo, some of the more astute among  you might have noticed the nose u/c. Yes it got broken off and had to be repaired with a bit of plastic tubing.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

What's equally interesting are the bits of MB5, Blanik and Vampire knocking about the bench. Not to mention the instructions or article about a Buccaneer lying there too..............  ;) ;D

I like the idea of Washington B2s though.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

The Buccaneer bits are , you may be shocked to know Kit, are in fact for the Vampire.
The instruction sheet gives that as suggestions for extra bits you can get for the kit.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

kerick

With that extra weight for the putty you will have to compensate by adding more nose weight! Or add a jack under the tail.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

All taken care of!
A couple of plasticard bulkheads and a moulded lump of white metal. It is certainly not something you would want to drop on your toes.

I did not post this pic as I felt it was not worth looking at!  :rolleyes:

Cats are not real. 

NARSES2

Interesting project Jim
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Are you sure that's not a chunk of a pistol bullet you've got glued in there?  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

16mm dia. That would be on heck of a large calibre handgun.
Even for Arnie in one of his films. If he fired it the recoil would throw him so far back that the last you would hear would be "I'll be back!".
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cats are not real. 

kerick

Now you need extra heavy duty landing gear! I suggest titanium!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

JayBee

The wings about to be attached and I can see a fair bit of PSR on the horizon. Why? Well the two different kits, Crown and Minicraft, have very different wing sections.
I rather suspect the Minicraft kit is a bit more accurate of the two.

Cats are not real. 

sandiego89

The Crown airfoil shape does indeed look a bit exaggerated.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

With a wing profile like the Crown B-29 the first thing it says to me is 'Semi-symmetrical wing shape, ideal for aerobatics'.

But then I think 'B-29? Aerobatics? I don't think so!  :o'

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 16, 2018, 01:03:39 AM
With a wing profile like the Crown B-29 the first thing it says to me is 'Semi-symmetrical wing shape, ideal for aerobatics'.

But then I think 'B-29? Aerobatics? I don't think so!  :o'

Possibly not, but i'd love to see a display team using them...

:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ysi_maniac

Quote from: JayBee on August 14, 2018, 02:09:26 AM
All taken care of!
A couple of plasticard bulkheads and a moulded lump of white metal. It is certainly not something you would want to drop on your toes.

I did not post this pic as I felt it was not worth looking at!  :rolleyes:

Heavy bomber indeed! :thumbsup:

Love the project. :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

JayBee

The wings are now on, and at the (more or less) correct dihedral, but you can really see the difference in the wing cross sections. There is going to have to be some serious micro-surgery done here, before any PSR can begin.

Cats are not real.