Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

The closer in pics are great to see the little detail but it's that last one which really emphasises what you have taken on.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I'm always gob-smacked at the results of your detailing of these things, but how do you actually DO it?

Are they very small pieces of styrene cut to shape and glued on, or some other branch of obscure-eering?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Thanks guys. Yeah, I often sit here and realise how big a job I've started but when it's done, it should be pretty cool (hopefully)

Kit, there's no secret to it and you're right - it is mostly just styrene strips cut into chips with a razor and then I use a sharp knife to lightly skewer the chip on and dip it int a puddle of Tamiya extra thin cement. The puddle dries up quick so you only get a few chips on before you have to top it up again. It's long arduous process but the results speak for themselves. It's just then a matter of shaping them and putting them on places where it could do with some more surface detail.

I know the large surface areas are pretty flat and look quite expansive and they still will. It looks overly busy now because of the colour but once the paint goes on, you'd have to be looking pretty closely to see it and recognize what's kit and what's not (not that I actually think anyone would wonder that). In fact, I dare say the average non-modelling viewer wouldn't know.
Ever the silent hero...  ;D ;D

Old Wombat

Well, mate, I'll sing your praises loudly (if somewhat off-key & out of tune) any day! ;D :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the desk-top images, it just reinforces just how insanely small the details actually are. :o :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

thanks mate. Sorry I haven't replied to you earlier.

So, I have managed to get most of the starboard sidewalls and roof parts detailing done with only 3 left to go. Then it'll be time to blend in the walls to the surface and add some other stuff around - then the last part of the top side surface detailing will be over.
I'm still deciding if I will paint first then add the fiber or vice versa. I'm leaning toward paint first because I just think it'd be too hard to be able to trim off fibers without damaging the paint work but shuddering at time it'll take to do it like that. No pain no gain right?
Anyway, here's some pics of where I am at currently

That's it for now, but as always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on February 07, 2020, 07:31:46 PM
I've run out of superlatives.

You and me both.

Mind you whoever is turning out these giant prop bottles of Tamiya Extra Thin is on to a winner  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Madhatter

I had the camera out today for other things and decided today is a good a day as any to take a couple of update shots. I'm not as far along as I would have liked but I had the spare time. I'm almost finished the top. I just have to finish the edging and then the top will be considered done.

I test fitted the bridge to the body to make sure I could. There are definitely going to be fitting issues but nothing some super glue won't take care of. Looks like I'll also have to add some more details once the body has been glued together to help tie in the areas better. This adds to the ever compounding issue of painting first or not (first world problems....)

Anyways, that's all the pics I took but thanks for looking in.

Si

Old Wombat

PR19_Kit

My jaw has just bounced off the floor.

It's AMAZING!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

My flabber is absolutely ghasted  :o :o :o :o

Unbelievable  :bow: :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madhatter

Thanks guys. I pretty much finished the top surface this afternoon. Just 4 cm left to go, then I'll add a few details to the underside of it along the side walls to give it more depth
I envision a trip to the paint shop next week!  :thumbsup:

Madhatter

Hello once again everyone. It's been few months since this was last updated and sorry to say, I haven't done as much as you might hope I had, but I have finished off the top section - well, mostly. I still have the SMD's to add for the trench spot lighting but in regards to detailing, that's all done

So here is the top section shown as finished. I added some of the bits that sort of frame some of the lines to balance it out. You'll catch my drift if you look at the last picture in the previous update and look to the left of the ship and you can see some chips that run down the mid-section in a line toward the front. They have been replicated on the other side to make it right.

That was a lot of explaining for something so trivial, so I shall move on and let the pics do the talking:

Its pretty much the same on the other side. I might yet bulk some of the rear section out some more but I need to see how the side walls go on first. I do need to sort out that section at the very back of the ship - looking at these reminded me about it

The bottom hull has also been started. I made the very foolish mistake of gluing the nose to the body in a hurry to install the hangar bay. This in hindsight was very silly. I has also located glue marks and other blemishes on there and I am not happy about it. I do not know when or how they got there but I also realised I forgot to grind down the old hangar surrounds and it has created a gap where there shouldn't be and now I have to fix and live with my decision to install when I did.

Still, none of this is unfix-able and I will fix it as much as I can accordingly. I just wish I hadn't created this unnecessary work for myself is all

Well, that's all I have for now, but I will be back again soon enough. As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si