Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2020, 04:14:13 AM
Unless you need to use tube for a specific reason (like running wiring through it) then use rod.
You should be able to bend that OK without it kinking.

This is Madhatter, mate, of course there'll be wiring! ;D

For the insane illumination that goes along with the insane detail! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

Yes there will be wiring running through from the base, so a tube is required  :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

So a 90 degree elbow is out of the question ? but that would depend on the metal you are using as to how it could be secured.

You mentioned suspend the Star Destroyer over the base, so I suspecting that tube is also to conduit the wiring/power.

One method I have used on a much smaller scale is to bend rod, then run the wires (only talking Power +ve -ve) along the rod, then heatshrink the lot.

Although knowing your presentation standards, I can see you wanting something schmick and seamless.

Madhatter

A 90 degree bend is what I want in a tube, although I realise it would need to be a sweeping bend which is fine. The tighter the bend the better but obviously I would need to work within certain constraints.

The aim is to have 2 poles on which the SD rests on with the ability to slide it on and off the poles for easier transportation.  There will have plugs on the ends that connect inside the model. I have it all worked out in my head but the bending of the pipes is proving more of a headache than I thought it would be. I am waiting on a new soldering station which has a hot air blower as well so I will be able to anneal the pipe first. However, I have run out of pipe so I can't test that out anytime soon.

The thought of using an elbow like I did with the Venator did cross my mind but I wasn't happy with that and a pole is smaller and less obvious in my view. Mind you, if this pole situation doesn't get resolved, I may have to resort to a single bottom on the bottom but I want to steer clear of that option if I can.

Madhatter

Hi again everyone

So, time for a small update. Things are progressing slower than I had hoped as I had to fix my screw up with the hangar bay installation. I've got one side sorted and I just need to finish the other side later on. I forgot to grind down the existing surface detail before slotting in the hangar bay, but it's fixable.  You can see the gap that mistake left in the first pic if you look where it goes in. Then on the pic below it, you can see my fix for it which is working well.

It looks very busy up here but the paint will bring that down a few notches. I'm also going to space out the detail more and not add as much the further back I go. I have to be careful not to over do it (although I dare say there are some of you who already think I'm well past that) as I fear I will loose the grandness of the ship.

Well, that's all I have for now, but once I have done something worth taking pics of, I will of course update again.

Feel free to critique, make a suggestion, comment or just do nothing at all but as always, thank you for stopping by and having a look

Till next time

Si

Old Wombat

What's to critique? :unsure:

Awesomeness is awesomeness & is completely impossible for a sane (or even marginally insane ;)) person to criticise! ;D

Worship? Yes! Criticise? No! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I have a question.

How do you line up the little bits when you stick them on?  They are all rectangular and so it would show if they were crooked. 
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

...and how do you get them in the correct place too?

It's not as if you can get out there and measure the locations on the RW machine!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Fair question  I put them on with a knife and use the ol mark 1 eyeballs to get them straight before the glue sets. You don't have a lot of time as its fast drying cement but after a few years of practice I almost have it down pat. Its also the angle in which you skewer the part to the blade tip. If I want the part to run straight up, then I'll maneuver the piece till its at a comfy angle, dip the part in the cement puddle and on it goes. I choose the spot where I want it to go first then do the above.
I've been contemplating doing a short video on how I go about detailing for those who are interested in doing similar detailing but I think I'd feel a bit stupid doing a YouTube video. However, if I can help someone get a better feel for it, then Im all for it.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

You obviously have a better eye than me.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: Madhatter on August 19, 2020, 05:16:02 AM
Fair question  I put them on with a knife and use the ol mark 1 eyeballs to get them straight before the glue sets. You don't have a lot of time as its fast drying cement but after a few years of practice I almost have it down pat.

It sounds daft, but it can almost become an automatic action. The brain/eye/hand combination can become quite well trained.

I couldn't even begin to do it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I found doing the portholes on the Leeds went Ok with my little jig thing at first, but later on, including the whole of the starboard side, that I got the decal almost spot on first time amazingly. Only 2-3 of them needed adjustment.

I guess it's the way some brains work.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Whereas i'm trying to drill a series of lightening holes in a straight line on a car chassis and failing.   :angry:
Fred

buzzbomb

Somehow, I think what you consider a screw up is vastly different to my definition  :o

Nothing to say.. just in awe. I thought that your Venator was just the ducks guts... this is better. Much, much better

Madhatter

Fred, why not try marking out where you want the holes to go with a pencil first then drill. You'll get a better result that way

Thanks Brian. The Venator was my first ever go at super detailing and I've gotten in some practice since then :) It still sits on my shelf next to my work bench as a constant reminder that I can do better.