Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Madhatter

thanks guys
Funnily enough, I am currently looking into the whole 3D printing gig. I'm weighing up buying the Anycubic Photon S resin printer as I don't want the poorer quality PLA printing. I just need to get the OK from the Chief Financial Officer first as its a pretty big outlay ($500). A friend of mine has gifted me the SLA files for a 1/72 Razor Quest from The Mandalorian so that'll be my first print if/when I get the permission to hit the buy button
I don't know how to use CAD but I'm sure there will be someone who's done a DS base somewhere
Despite my new interest in 3D printing, I still like to do things the old school way - much more satisfying

As for my side mounting dilemma, I may just do the whole use solid rod and then run small wires on the outside of the rod to power the ship. Given it will be plugged into the mains, I don't want anyone touching it and frying themselves or blowing out all the LEDS that'll be inside. I would have preferred to have the wires on the inside, but I may just have to do an Elsa and 'let it go'....

Old Wombat

Or; Make the mounts from rod, Dremel out a channel in the rod, put the wires in the channel, putty over the channel & paint to suit! ;D ... ? :unsure:

buzzbomb

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 28, 2020, 03:58:59 PM
Or; Make the mounts from rod, Dremel out a channel in the rod, put the wires in the channel, putty over the channel & paint to suit! ;D ... ? :unsure:

Alternative to that wires on the outside business and far less work, is to use heatshrink over the lot. I have used that method and it is quite acceptable and comes in a range of fun wacky colours  ;D

Quote from: Madhatter on September 28, 2020, 03:53:58 PM
Funnily enough, I am currently looking into the whole 3D printing gig. I'm weighing up buying the Anycubic Photon S resin printer as I don't want the poorer quality PLA printing.

Simon, I do not think you will regret the Anycubic purchase. The modelling buddies of mine who have one produce excellent models. The cost like anything, is relative and compared to when they were first released, have plummeted. Sheesshh ! My ABS old school UP 3D Plus filament printer cost twice that on special, back 5 odd years ago when it was the state of the art.

Madhatter

yeah, I remember when 3D printing machines first came out - they were thousands of dollars! I know I'm baulking @ $500 but that's more the wife than me  :wacko:

I was thinking I should heat shrink the whole rod as well but in black of course - can't have the supports being more a focal point than the ship  ;D I do like the idea of dremelling out a channel though - I hadn't considered that. Good idea! Not sure I could have it straight enough though but worth a crack right?

Madhatter

Well, the first cast was a failure due to the resin being too old. None of the detail tiles came out. So, need to but more resin

Madhatter

I'm also going to cheat and am scrapping the original base and have ordered a 3D printed tile in 1/2256 scale which I will take a mold of and cast numerous copies. This will give me a much more detailed base than I can make by hand.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Madhatter on September 29, 2020, 09:49:45 PM
This will give me a much more detailed base than I can make by hand.

I doubt that very much ... but I do believe it'll save you a butt-ton of effort. ;D ;) :thumbsup:

Madhatter

Well, I've given myself a deadline to get this finished by next Feb so yeah, it will save me some effort that's for sure! Mind you, with the speed at which I build, I have my doubts I will make it. I could never do a commission build, that's for sure

Old Wombat

Well, as I've only recently completed an armour build started almost 3 years ago, who am I to complain? :unsure: :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

Really hanging out to see this.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Even more so if we can see it on a table somewhere next year

Madhatter

you and me both - hopefully, Expo will be back on next year!

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Madhatter

While I wait for my new 3D printed tile to arrive, I have been quietly working away on the ship and have finally finished one side. Now I just need to start the other side....

Trying to get a shuffle on this one as I want it done for Expo next year (providing its on of course)

Well, that's it for now, but as always, thanks for looking!

Cheers

Si