Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Gondor on November 09, 2020, 01:17:59 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 27, 2020, 07:16:38 AM
Quote from: Madhatter on October 26, 2020, 08:43:38 PM

The surface detailing is coming along nicely.

And the winner in this years "Art of Understatement Class" is ...........................  ;) :bow:

The level of detail knocks spots off a lot of cinema and t.v. props. As always I'm simply stunned.

The thing is that the prop builders for films and T.. shows have a limited amount of time where as sykotik can take as long as he likes

Gondor

Plus, in the days before high definition digital broadcasting it wasn't possible for the average viewer to get a steady, clear freeze frame so the models didn't have to be highly detailed.  They just needed a suggestion of detail and/or surface texture.
Same for props.  Mrs z and I once went to a Star Trek expo in London where they had props and costumes on display.  The Original Series phasers and tricorders were unbelievably crude when seen close up.  Even the cheapest modern toy has more detail.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2020, 02:56:00 AM

And the winner in this years "Art of Understatement Class" is ...........................  ;) :bow:

The level of detail knocks spots off a lot of cinema and t.v. props. As always I'm simply stunned.

The thing is that the prop builders for films and T.. shows have a limited amount of time where as sykotik can take as long as he likes

Gondor

Plus, in the days before high definition digital broadcasting it wasn't possible for the average viewer to get a steady, clear freeze frame so the models didn't have to be highly detailed.  They just needed a suggestion of detail and/or surface texture.
Same for props.  Mrs z and I once went to a Star Trek expo in London where they had props and costumes on display.  The Original Series phasers and tricorders were unbelievably crude when seen close up.  Even the cheapest modern toy has more detail.

Madame R and I saw that Star Trek exhibition when it was staged in Edinburgh. Both of us would agree with you that many of the props looked very crude.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on November 10, 2020, 05:02:55 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 10, 2020, 02:56:00 AM

Gondor

Madame R and I saw that Star Trek exhibition when it was staged in Edinburgh. Both of us would agree with you that many of the props looked very crude.

I went to the same exhibition as well I believe, near to Waverly station on the Castle side. The medical scanning tools that Gr McCoy held and "sensed" his patients with looked as if they were just simple turnings made on a lathe.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Also, the costumes were so small.  I'm not tall (5' 10") but it seems that a lot of the cast must have been below average height judging by the size of their clothes.

It was a good exhibition though.  We saw stuff that had actually been touched/worn/sat on by Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Bones and most importantly Chekov.  Wow.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

A woman I know used to run the Star Trek fan club, and was the editor of the club mag.

She's actually WORN some of those uniforms apparently, and she said the same thing as you Fred, they must have been awfully short at the time.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Thought I would show you where I'm heading with this. Got some good basic structure work done and am now working on the larger details before moving in to do the finer stuff. There are some casting holes here and there and will need covering etc which will be done with details. Most of this will unlikely to be seen but it's better to be safe than sorry and have visibly empty spots of nothing

Anyways, that's it for now, but thanks for looking

Si

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The Boggle Factor is now up into the 3-4 MILLIONS!  :o :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've run out of superlatives so I'm just watching the progress and awaiting the end result  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

Thought I would check out the latest update.

Yep normal awesomeness. :wub:

Moving on now, feeling somewhat inadequate about my own attention to detail skills. ;D

Madhatter

Thanks very much guys! Sorry for the very late reply

I am happy to say that I have added all the detail I'm going to, to the bottom hull plate. I do have some stuff to add to the upper lips where the sidewalls meet the hull but that won't take long. All that's left to add detail  too are the  sidewalls themselves. I won't be going to mental there as the space is pretty short but enough to make it more interesting, and then it'll be the joyous task of adding the fibers.

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm still casting pieces for the base and that is taking up a fair whack of time but the ship detailing is nearly finished!

Sorry for the not-so-great pictures, I couldn't be bothered getting the photo tent out etc

thanks as looking!

Si

Old Wombat

Brother, you are insane but I love the work you do! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

I keep reminding myself how big this thing is and then I go away muttering  ;) ;D :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madhatter

Quick update while I wait for my work meeting to kick off. I took some pics last night of one of many test fits of the front sidewalls and upper and lower hull plates. I have to keep adding the walls and plates together to make sure the detailing I've added tot he underside of the edge on the top plate and again on the bottom plate don't interfere with the details on the sidewalls etc. Its very time consuming but it'll all look pretty cool once its together.

Excuse the not so great photos. I promise next time they will be clearer

Well, that's all I have for now, but once the front wall is done, I'll take a photo of the kit standard VS what I've done side by side so you can see the difference some extra details can make

Well I have to go back to work but as always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Till next time!

Si

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng