Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Practicality will trump prettiness anytime for me.

Madhatter

LOL, thanks guys
I had to add a couple of support posts behind the plug and against the edge of the bar to add extra support
But yeah, I cemented the port onto the bottom of the ship today and that'll set now for a couple of weeks. It won't be coming off anytime soon, at least, I'm praying like mad to the modelling deities that it will  :thumbsup:
I'm back now working on the base trying to get that sorted out. This build is never ending.... :rolleyes:

Madhatter

wow - it has been a while hasn't it? Hi all, and thanks for stopping in. First of, sorry for the really long delay in doing anything to it until recently. RL has interfered a lot as have other projects blah blah. We all know the reasons why etc that things go on hold but, I do have an update that's worth showing

So, I am unable to paint anything ATM due to weather and other such stuff like getting ready to move up north to Brisbane at the end of the year, plus a reno and as such, that limited my options. But I have been chomping at the bit to get restarted on just something to do with this build as its just dragging on and on (rather my my words) so I thought I would continue on with the base.

And I must say, so far, I am super happy with it. It's coming out way better than I had hoped so far! I am almost finished the edging on the top plate as you'll see in a sec and the shape of it is working perfectly. I will need to cast another 2 or 3 plates and some more of the original plating for the bottom and mid tiers, but that won't take too long

So, first up, the top plate as it is now:

The advantages of using resin is you can sand it super thin and then remove excess bits with a sharp knife to create new shapes

And the bottom plate has also had some treatment started to it. There is HEAPS more to do of course

And combined, it starts to take shape. There is a tier to go in between them but not there just yet

Well, that's it now for the next 3 months.... nah, just kidding. It's 7 if you're lucky

Hopefully the next update will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any continued interest

Till then!

Old Wombat

Has been a while. I've been getting quietly impatient. :angry:

Nah, not really. ;D

Brilliant work there, Si! Absolutely brilliant! :bow: :bow:

NARSES2

We just don't have enough  :o :o :o's to describe this properly.

Absolutely amazing work  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

My brain's still coming down from orbit after looking at that lot.  :o :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

thanks guys - appreciate you still looking in on it  :thumbsup:
All the edging for the top plate is done and I'm now enjoying the task of filling in gaps between the tiles - so much fun. Once that's done - hopefully by tonight, I can really start to enjoy adding more detailing to it.
I must confess, super detailing something is the most enjoyable part of building a scifi subject and, right now, it feels super good to be able to do some more again

buzzbomb

Madhatter

Hi all

Quick update

The edging is all done and putty applied. Still a couple of spots to clean up but nothing dramatic.

I've started to add some more detailing to the surface, with some gun batteries which i thought could be quite cool. I'm not trying to replicate the DS or its surface to its filming parents, so the relevancy of their existence is mute. Looking at them, I do need to change the shape slightly to mask their origins though. Just on the bottom front corners I think

I'm looking at making some kind of central building structure, like a control center of sorts, again, just to break up the surface more. Not too high, but high enough. I've been furiously rummaging through the spares box looking for something suitable but nothing is matching my idea, so I think it'll have to be scratch built.

Anyways, enough words

I just started the detailing, but you get the idea of where its going

That's all for now, but open to ideas, suggestions or constructive critique

Cheers

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

"Keep doing what you're doing!" that's my suggestion! You're going great guns! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Madhatter

thanks guys
Hi again all

For the past 2 weeks (well, more like 6 days when combined) I have been working away on the top plate. I decided to make something to go on top as I feel it needs more visual interest. Yeah, I know its the DS tiles I'm using but I don't really want this to BE the Death Star - more, my own interpretation. I wouldn't go calling my display a battle-station. Probably more a mechanical planet :)

It's far from being finished - I still have heaps to do, but before I really get lost in this and put more energy into it, I thought l'd just get a general gauge if this is a good idea or not

It's basically superstructure parts from my ill-fated Bismark and other bits and bobs. My favorite bit is the landing platforms

this is where Im thinking of putting it

If all else fails, it could always be a new hull part of a space ship

Well, that's it for now, but feel free to let me know what you think.

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Old Wombat

With the greebling effort that you put in, mate, it'll look awesome.

I think it'll add a touch of variation to the base & will give a rough sense of scale to the SD.

:thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

I see you've got one of those over size Tamiya cement pots too...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit