Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhatter

thanks fellas
Not quite sure what to do with the upside down shield generator base though. Probably should have thought more about its function first before choosing it for it's form. Im thinking either an exhaust port or add some brass tube to the outer ring of poles to be level with the center and then create some kind of platform for a comms unit or weapon system, but that would require a significant amount of research and I don't think I'm up for that. I am open to ideas  :angel:

Old Wombat

I'd leave that piece as is, whilst greebling the rest as per usual, & leave it sitting there, being quietly enigmatic in its clean lines & simplicity of form. ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 09, 2022, 06:34:25 AM
I'd leave that piece as is, whilst greebling the rest as per usual, & leave it sitting there, being quietly enigmatic in its clean lines & simplicity of form. ;D :thumbsup:

What the Marsupial said.  :thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Madhatter

I found this tower like structure last night in the box of spares and immediately thought this would be a cool addition:

Also found in amongst stuff I fully forgot I had, was this little gem (the big bit in the center).

I layed out a few parts just to get some kind of structure going. Obviously, its just a base, but what do you think? Should I use it as well or just stick to the one building? Is it a bit to 'Ol factory" in it's appearance or would it pass in the world of SW?

One thing that I've noticed or thought about is the rest of the tile details. Is it too much with another building? Are these buildings out of scale with the rest of it? I don't think so, but I am doubting my scaling abilities lately, so I thought 'd see if I can get some honest, constructive feedback.

Snowtrooper

The structure looks very Star Wars-y and not at all out of scale. In my opinion, SW aesthetics does have the occasional megastructure jutting out of the landscape, so you don't need to worry having something "out of scale". Whether the base is supposed to represent the Death Star or another structure, there's bound to be some huge buildings around.

The base is large enough that another building won't make it too busy either, there's room to add even more if you so wish.

zenrat

I think that what it needs is what at first glance appears to be just another small rectangular piece of random detail but which on closer inspection is a shed.

:mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Having just gone back & looked at the base: I think you could get away with up to four similarly sized structures without any issues but, maybe, keeping it down to two or three would look better & less crowded.

Scale comes from your greebling, as long as the greebles are right the structures should look fine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Madhatter

how about from this angle?:

I reckon your right Guy, but I don't have enough suitable parts left over for a third one. I don't want to over do it. It's already moved way further past what I thought I'd be doing. It seems like its turning into more of a diorama than just a display base. Wonder what category I'd enter this into at an Expo?
As for the greeblies, yeah, I keep having to cast parts but I am going through the plastic bits very quickly. I'm replying heavily on plastic strips and square rod for the smaller details and I will be laying down some more brass pipes. Definitely not the Death Star anymore is it. It's more like a mechanical-industrial planet.  ;D

Old Wombat

That looks great! :thumbsup:

Although, maybe, moving the structure in the right hand side of the image a bit forward, towards the camera, would balance it out a bit? :unsure:

NARSES2

Quote from: Madhatter on August 10, 2022, 06:19:01 AM
Definitely not the Death Star anymore is it. It's more like a mechanical-industrial planet.  ;D

Yup, or maybe a mining spacecraft. One that travels the galaxy, lands on a planet, mines/sucks it dry and then moves on ? Where's Will Smith when you need him  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madhatter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 10, 2022, 06:35:31 AM
That looks great! :thumbsup:

Although, maybe, moving the structure in the right hand side of the image a bit forward, towards the camera, would balance it out a bit? :unsure:

Gottcha, good idea. I'll play around with the position more in the next few days

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 10, 2022, 06:45:45 AM
Quote from: Madhatter on August 10, 2022, 06:19:01 AM
Definitely not the Death Star anymore is it. It's more like a mechanical-industrial planet.  ;D

Yup, or maybe a mining spacecraft. One that travels the galaxy, lands on a planet, mines/sucks it dry and then moves on ? Where's Will Smith when you need him  ;)

Trying to win back fans I dare say  ;D

Madhatter

A major distraction arrived on my door step today

Must resist the urge to start.....

Old Wombat

Yes, you must! :angry:

Besides, what's with that big detachable lump on top of it? :unsure:

That's going to throw out its thrust axis of symmetry something awful! :o