Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

It's looking much more uniform now that the bridge has some paint on it.

Started on the neck section

The garbage chute is installed and has some red fibers on the inside

Adding some details to the big antenna thing using some scrap PE bits

Close up shows there's some clean up to do, but that won't be hard

Anyway, thanks for looking

Si

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

Thanks man. I hope you guys don't to bored  I'm not a fast builder  ;D

I did a lighting test tonight of the bridge and I am happy with how it turned out. I made a number of mistakes on the internals and had numerous electrical issues but I got there in the end.

I've also been cutting away at the body to accommodate the fibers. I've actually finished the whole top but just haven't taken any pics yet because it's not daylight

Anyway, I just wanted to share the results of the lighting. I'm really happy with how it came out.

Till next time

Si   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Those lit pics look incedible, and they don't give you the slightest hint of the model's size. It could be 4" across or 4 MILES!  :o :thumbsup:

How big is it anyway?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

:o :o :o

I'm literally speechless, and those who know me can tell you that doesn't happen often  ;)

Incredible  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

Thanks guys!
The bridge itself is about 12cm wide by 3cm high at the center. Once everything is together, I'll take a size comparison shot for you

It'll be a few weeks now till another update as I am off to my Mother in Laws inevitable funeral on Tuesday before flying to NZ to spend what will likely be a not so festive Christmas break.

Rest assured, once I have finished the neck off I will be posting some pics. I am in the midst of painting the neck walls and finishing off the detailing to the front panels now. The roof of the bridge is currently drying and should be able to be released from it's clamps tomorrow

Thanks for your interest guys

Have a safe and happy Christmas fellas  :thumbsup:

Regards

Si

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

sykotik

2 days back and I have already pretty much finished the bridge and neck section. I'll run a light grey wash over it once everything has dried and sealed proper. There are still a couple of sections I need to hand brush to bring up to spec.

I'll take some lit shots once I have connected the remaining fiber optics.

That's it for now. I have to finish painting the big antenna in the middle as well as replace all the broken projections on the shield generators but I'll do that once the bridge is attached to the body

As always, thanks for looking

Si

Old Wombat

sykotik

Hey guys
It's been a while since I last touched this but after numerous side projects (some successful some....not so much  :rolleyes:) I figure it was about time to get this going again and maybe even finish it this year - although being over half way through I doubt it. I'd just like to finish it all together really..

So, I have finished detailing the hangar bay and it is currently drying off the black base coat ready for the light strips to be attached. I am waiting on 2 new ones as I screwed up the first set by cutting it in the wrong place. I had the right number of LEDs for the amount of holes but the strip requires another 2 at the end for it to work properly, so the last 2 LEDs didn't light up. Good thing they're cheap! I'll have to black out the last 2 LEDs once I install the new set.
As you can also see, there is a lot of artistic license going into this. None of this stuff is on the filming model but then I am building this for me and not a paying person so it's kind of irrelevant really

The TIE hangar is installed and it actually works. Just need to tidy a few things up and then that's done.

I had made a start on the side walls in Jan before I lost patience with it and they haven't moved since these pics were done

I also painted (badly) the Blockade runner. This will need a lot of touching up before I'm happy with it

Still a long way to go yet but hopefully I can keep up some momentum and get something done. I was looking at the photos I took of the Super Star destroyer and started to drool at the thought of starting it. Then I remembered it's resin and there is a fair amount of work to do on it and the drool dried up pretty quickly, but I will start it hopefully once this one's done - if I haven't over detailed myself out by then.

Anyway, that's all I have for now but thanks for sticking around and having a look-see
Cheers
Si

Old Wombat

Maybe finish this lot, then move on to simpler things that don't have masses of fine detail for a while (a few decades might suffice ;)). :thumbsup:

philp

It is looking great so far.

Just remember that the Blockade Runner took a hit to the top turret.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sykotik

thanks guys
I'm finding I start off with all the right intentions but loss steam after a few months. I know this is not exactly a new phenomenon but it's still a PITA as I have a lot of unfinished projects because of it. Remember that scratch built starship I started using the U Boat hull? Haven't looked at it for a couple of years because I couldn't make up my mind how it was to go together. And because I couldn't make up my mind, my enthusiasm waned and I left it.  :banghead: So annoying

Old Wombat

Know where you're coming from! :banghead:

I have a fair collection of unfinished builds beginning to stack up. I reach a point where something is too fiddly/difficult/awkward/delayed & there the build sits, waiting for me to get enthused again. :-\

I really need to start on that pile soon. :angel: