Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Madhatter on July 06, 2024, 09:16:36 PMI can already foresee a lot of fitment issues. I'm really not sure how I'm going to do it - but I have plenty of time to figure it out.

I think a fair bit of cursing may be involved ?  :angel:

I admire your patience as much as anything else  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 07, 2024, 12:39:33 AMI admire your patience as much as anything else  :bow:

And there's a lot to admire! ;D  :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

thanks guys  :thumbsup:
Progress! The lower hull is now finished and I am happy to report that it all works as it should. I'm pretty stoked with how well it came out.

So, from disorganized chaos:

To some form of organization:

And of course - a lighting test. Now, I am very sorry for the blurry photos here - my phone just wouldn't compensate for my shaky hands. How the heck I get any detail work done is still a mystery...

I'll try to get some better shots later using my DSLR and a tripod, but we'll see how I go for time. The lights are not too bright and have way less glare in person than what the photos show. I'm super stoked about how they've come out - of course, I forgot to pull some strands out to turn them orange, but I shall try to remedy that another time. Maybe a small drop of clear orange will fix it :)

Anyways, that'll be it for a couple of months while I begin the humongous task of doing the top half. Not looking forward to that I can tell you.

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look and for your continued viewing. At least now we're getting somewhere!

Si

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Madhatter

thanks guys :)

Changing direction ever so slightly, I was dry fitting the engine block when I realised I hadn't given this thing a wash yet., So, last night, out came the Star Ship Filth oil paint and some thinners and this was the result

I still need to remove some more oil from parts here and there but as an overall effect, it's come out great. I also realised that I still have some roof panels to wash as well as the neck section to bring it tonally more inline with the rest of the ship

I am almost finished wiring up the front half of the top half of the hull as well, so it's getting closer to the end

See you again soon

Si

Old Wombat

Cool! :mellow:

Quote from: Madhatter on July 15, 2024, 04:51:55 PM... Star Ship Filth ...

Now that's an awesome name for a paint/wash colour! :thumbsup:  :bow:

buzzbomb

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Madhatter

Hey guys

Small update - and I do mean small (2 pics - that's your lot sorry).

Threading fibers is not an easy task and it is incredibly time consuming. What you see below is 2.5 weeks of work and I am only half way through the right rear side. Luckily, I only have the left to do and then I can finish the top half of the superstructure.

Even though this'll sound like an advert for Egyptian Cotton sheets, the thread count is up to 384 so far, or, if you like, 2.6 meters -I know this as I am collecting the sheaths the fiber comes wrapped in for posterity and because I will no doubt be asked how much is in there when I'm done  :thumbsup:

All being well, I reckon I should have her all threaded in another 3 weeks or so. Then I have to finish and light the base...  :o
The next update should be when it is all threaded and ready to begin the final wiring (which will be fun - but not as much as trying to join the 2 halves together!)

Thanks for your continued patience!
Si

buzzbomb

Do love a statistic.

Jaw dropping amounts of fine work in this, all of which will be under appreciated by the masses once this is done and all put together

Keep it up :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: