Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've run out of things to say about this build.  :bow:

Just going to sit back and enjoy watching it all come together  :wub:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I've said all I can, really. So I'll just sit here & drool over the awesomeness, knowing there isn't a snowflake's chance in Hell that I could do what you do without going insane. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 29, 2019, 07:56:34 AM
I've said all I can, really. So I'll just sit here & drool over the awesomeness, knowing there isn't a snowflake's chance in Hell that I could do what you do without going insane. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:

Depends on which Hell you're going to.  Hell, MI or Hell Norway, there's a good chance 6 to 8 months out of the year  :wacko:

And I will agree with our senior marsupial on the build and enjoy watching it come together
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sykotik

I'll be honest and say I don't know what you mean by "MI" or "hell Norway". I'm certainly not taking any kind of offense to it - I just don't know what context it's meant in sorry.

scooter

Quote from: sykotik on September 04, 2019, 07:04:46 AM
I'll be honest and say I don't know what you mean by "MI" or "hell Norway". I'm certainly not taking any kind of offense to it - I just don't know what context it's meant in sorry.

There's  town in the state of Michigan named Hell, and apparently a village in Norway also named Hell, but the context was in reply to Wombie about having a snowflake's chance in hell about keeping his sanity doing what you're doing with this star destroyer build
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sykotik

LMAO! I had no idea there was a place named "Hell" in either of those countries
Makes more sense to me now  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sykotik

hi fellas
Time for a quick update. The wife is heading away for a week with the boy, so I shall have lots of spare time to invest in getting some serious work done on this - provided World of Warships doesn't interfere too much. I promise nothing....

I've started work on the "nose" as you'll see. I steered clear of cutting it off and dropping it like others before me. Fair enough if I was replicating the studio build but it's not necessary here. I realised I had cut out the backing board where the front roof sits thinking there would be something sitting in front of it - there is, but it's not what I thought. A quick sheet of styrene fixed that and I shall add some detail to it in due course. My intention is to have some pipes running back over the edge up into the cavity above it.
Time will tell if that will be something that could work as the roofs will be the last thing to be glued on after the fibers have gone in.
Still lots of detail to add to the rest of the surface but I am getting there slowly but surely

The rear side roofs are also completed and ready to go on. They were a nice quick and easy job - well, in consideration of everything else they were

Well, that's all I have for now, but hopefully the next update will be better
As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Si

Old Wombat

PR19_Kit

Every time I look at pics of this amazing project I totally lose my sense of scale.

It always looks as if it's a mile and a half long at the very least!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 16, 2019, 05:40:37 AM
Every time I look at pics of this amazing project I totally lose my sense of scale.

It always looks as if it's a mile and a half long at the very least!  :o

You and me both  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sykotik

Hi again

Last update before a short tools down period. I've not really spent as much time on the bench as I thought I would but did still manage some decent progress

The front end is as busy as I want it now. Just need to start filling out areas around the hull. I won't go to crazy as I want to try keep to the grand scale and immensity of the ship.

At the same time, most of this detail will likely be obscured by the paint.

Well, that's it for now but feel free to share any thoughts you may have

Till next time

Si

zenrat

My thought is that it is not symmetrical.
Which doesn't matter, but you did ask.   ;D

Your work shows up the relative lack of detail out on the wide open spaces of the hull.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

sykotik

Thanks Fred
I've purposely not made it symmetrical as I figure ships like this should need not have the same piece of machinery or pipe in the same place on each side.   :mellow:
Works for me  :rolleyes:
But thanks for the honest observation  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

I, too, have a bit of a symmetrical mindset. However, not everything is symmetrical; aircraft carriers for example.

I love the details! :thumbsup:

(Don't forget to do a wash, that should help to details "pop" ... &, maybe, a bit of highlight dry brushing. ;D)