Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Madhatter on August 20, 2020, 04:58:09 AM
Fred, why not try marking out where you want the holes to go with a pencil first then drill. You'll get a better result that way...

I've done that.  My problem is getting the hole started exactly on the line.
They are not far off but I can see it.
I've been using a 1.2mm drill for the pilot holes but think using a smaller one might be more accurate.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on August 20, 2020, 05:10:28 AM
Quote from: Madhatter on August 20, 2020, 04:58:09 AM
Fred, why not try marking out where you want the holes to go with a pencil first then drill. You'll get a better result that way...

I've done that.  My problem is getting the hole started exactly on the line.
They are not far off but I can see it.
I've been using a 1.2mm drill for the pilot holes but think using a smaller one might be more accurate.

Simon, with your indulgence.
Fred, one way to get a start is to maybe use something like a Ponce wheel

If you can get a straight edge lined up, run the Ponce wheel along, this will give you some marks that will catch the drill, nice and even. Of course getting a wheel to match your dimensions may be the tricky bit.

Madhatter

The other thing I do occasionally is use a pin to put a dent in first then drill. A sharp  knife point is also another tool to use to use as a guide for the drill bit.

zenrat

Ponce wheel would work.  I also considered scrIbing a line for the drill to slip into.  Same problem with both techniques - i'd have to fill the holes/line.
But instead I switched to a 0.8mm drill bit for the pilot holes.  Still not perfect but it helped.
You can see the results here.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=39925.3405
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

ChernayaAkula

Try starting the pilot hole with a hypodermic needle.  :thumbsup: They're so crazy sharp that once the point touches the plastic they will not wander. A few twists and you have a perfectly centred pilot hole. Works better than a pin IMHO as it actually removes a bit of plastic and doesn't just force the plastic to the side. Also works better than a blade. That could be down to the "angle of attack" of th eneddle's cutting surface, but that's just a guess.

Tried opening the muzzle of GSh-23 gun packs and some air scoops on a couple of MiG-21s. Tried it with fine drill bist first - both in a Proxxon and with a hand drill vise -, but they would always wander. Tried using a hypodermic needle and now it's a piece of cake. Saw the trick in a PLASMO video on YouTube.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Madhatter

hey guys

Well, the cursed COVID continues and so does this build. Over 2 years now and lots more to do. I've slowed down a bit lately due to other things on the go but there is some progress - probably not as much as you'd like. but there is some

I spent a few hours on the dome thing on the bottom and I am pretty happy with how it's come out (one 1 side anyway - haven't done the other yet). I've added stuff to the man hull plates and now I'm concentrating on the raise edges along the center of the ship. I'm going to do concentrated pockets of details here and there but lessen it as I work outward

You can see the difference in the 2 sides one of the overall shots. It's pretty bare on the right and not so much on the left. As I say frequently, I need to be careful not to loose the sheer size of it with too much detail. From afar, and under paint, it'll look a lot less busy but up close is where the time spent on this will come through.

Anyway, enough words, you came to see pics, so here's my latest update

Looks like I need to fix a couple of sprue pipe too:

Anyways, that's all I have sorry. Sorry for the yellowish photos but I couldn't be bothered getting the light tent set up tonight, but next time, I'll hopefully have better quality photos

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look!

Stay safe and I'll catch you round the boards

Si

zenrat

I've said it before and i'll probly say it again but...

:bow:

I still think you are bonkers though.
;)
Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madhatter

Thanks guys  :thumbsup:
I have broken away from detailing the ship to start work on the base as I need a break from the relentless space of the hull
I made a good start on making my own Death Star tiles which I will cast multiple copies of and those in turn will form the base. Fingers crossed it works but so far so good. Time will tell  :rolleyes: I'll take some pics tomorrow night

Madhatter

Well, somehow I managed to lock this thread but thanks to Chris and Fred, I'm back in action!!
Here are a couple of pics of the start of my base. Doesn't look much now but these are just detail tiles which will form a much bigger area later on

Yes, there will be a trench for X-Wings to run down to :)

This base idea is nothing new, but I have always wanted to have a go at building something like this and this is the perfect time. If it fails, then I'll just stick to a pole and mirror (with something built along the sides or similar. I have a back up plan!)

NARSES2

Yet someone else who has a giant scalpel, not only that but a giant lighter to go with it  ;) ;D

I'm impressed that you can use a heated blade (assuming you are ?) with such precision and no mess  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Madhatter

Nah, the blade's not heated. The lighter is just there for scale reference   :thumbsup:
Got to love those novelty knives huh?  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Madhatter on September 08, 2020, 07:24:54 AM
Nah, the blade's not heated. The lighter is just there for scale reference   :thumbsup:

Ah, right. I thought the discolouration on the tip of the blade was where it had been heated. My mistake

Quote from: Madhatter on September 08, 2020, 07:24:54 AM

Got to love those novelty knives huh?  ;D

You sure do  ;D

zenrat

This last update has not changed my opinion of your sanity...
;)

:thumbsup:
Fred