Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

WHAAAAT?  :o :o

OK, consider me boggled, totally.

But how do you make those little geeblie things in the first place?

Especially the tiny round ones with bumps on, looking a bit like a COVID-19 virus..................Ooooer.......... :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

Its not as hard as it might look. Start with say a tube, cut a bit off, and add some slivers of strip to the side and you have an exhaust vent. At this scale, you don't have to be to precise but have enough detail that it looks functional. Same goes with those other bit. Lay down one piece of strip, then add another on top and so on until you have the shape you want. I'm using pics from various sources as a rough guide to what they should look like.I even use my Bandai DS bases as a guide to help get the shapes.  :thumbsup: What ever works I guess  ;D

PR19_Kit

More power to you then.

They look wonderful, but once on the model they're MAGNIFICENT!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Old Wombat

Yep, I can see how that works;

I need a break from all this micro-fiddly detail work on the star destroyer .... Think I'll do this micro-fiddly detail work on the base! :o :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 10, 2020, 02:59:52 AM
Yep, I can see how that works;

I need a break from all this micro-fiddly detail work on the star destroyer .... Think I'll do this micro-fiddly detail work on the base! :o :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ;D

At least he's not working around the Super Laser.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Madhatter

so, my tube bending springs arrived today, so filled with hope, I tried bending some tube. Kinked
OK, no worries, filled it with sand and tried again: kinked
Alright then, filled it with sand, heated it then tried again: kinked
last do, filled with sand, heated it and tried the tube bender: Kinked
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I may have to forgo my idea of an extended U Bend support idea and resort to a couple of poles underneath which is not the road I want to go down

Old Wombat

That sucks! :(

Wish I had a solution for you ... Do you have a local plumber? Preferably an "old school" guy, who did his apprenticeship bending copper pipe? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Madhatter

Well, the new sheets arrived on Friday and I am now half way through making the master base piece. I should be able to update this soon
If anyone has any ideas on how to side mount this, I am very open to suggestions  :thumbsup:

Madhatter

Hi everyone

Well, my replacement grid sheets finally arrived last week and I have now finished my master which I will make a cast of tomorrow and hopefully, will be able to produce enough copies to cover a large area.

Started off with this:

Ended up with this:

Yeah its not perfect but I'm still happy with it

Will post the results of the casting even if it fails

Thanks for looking

Si

zenrat

Quote from: Madhatter on September 27, 2020, 06:52:32 AM
...If anyone has any ideas on how to side mount this, I am very open to suggestions  :thumbsup:

Continue as planned but use metal rod instead of tube.  You should be able to bend that OK.
Instead of running wiring for the lights through tubes use the rods as conductors.  You'll only be using low voltage so you shouldn't electrocute anyone.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Madhatter on September 28, 2020, 04:44:57 AM

My eyes go all blurred looking at that! Quite what it's like seeing it in 3D boggles the mind!  :o :o

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

So. How are your shares in Evergreen going ?

Continuing on down the terrificness path :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2020, 05:14:55 AM

My eyes go all blurred looking at that! Quite what it's like seeing it in 3D boggles the mind!  :o :o

My eyes went blurry a few months ago or more, but I do know what you mean. Amazing work  :thumbsup:

Just wonder if it could be 3D printed ?

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2020, 04:51:40 AM

Instead of running wiring for the lights through tubes use the rods as conductors.  You'll only be using low voltage so you shouldn't electrocute anyone.

I do find the use of shouldn't slightly unnerving in this context  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.