Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Started by sykotik, August 17, 2018, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhatter

LOL, not quite. More a kind of light Aztec. Once all of the masks have come off, if they are too stark, I'll shoot them with a light base colour filter. It'll look better with the appropriate washes and panel line enhancments

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Madhatter

LOL, maybe   ;D most SDs have enhanced selected panels, so technically not ground breaking stuff here

Madhatter

Well, the experimental masking is done and the results are here. There are some panels which require a paint touch up because - as feared - the paint was too thin for the masks and ran under them in places. Lifted the paint off in others.

Over all though, I am pleased with how its turned out. I'm still debating whether or not to run a very thin filter coat over the whole area to tone down the enhanced panels.

I still have small detail painting, washed and dry brushing yet to go, so the look will change even more but what do you guys think? Should I leave them like they are or run a filter over the top?

Those longer roof panels are on back to front, so ignore those and yes, I did see the tape I left behind which has since been removed :)

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Till next time

PR19_Kit

I have no feel for how large an object we're looking at here, it could be 2" long or 2 yards!

How long, top to bottom, is the part in your first painted pic please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Ooh! Difficult questions! :blink:

I think I'd be inclined to leave them as is, the washes & dry brushing should tone them down a bit, anyway ... Maybe? :unsure:

buzzbomb

More marvellousocity  :thumbsup:

It will be worth the effort. A comment from Digital camo experience. You will still be finding bits of tape that have not been removed for many, many months after.

The effort expended will more than pay off when the effect works so well. Really looking forward to the unveiling.

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2021, 12:56:30 AM
I have no feel for how large an object we're looking at here, it could be 2" long or 2 yards!

IIRC, it's Zvezda's 1/2700th (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  So some of those panels are a couple to several inches long
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Madhatter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2021, 12:56:30 AM

Hi Kit
The main roof panel in the first pic is a little over 15cm long and 10cm wide

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. The general consensus is to apply a filter over it which is exactly what I will do, even though I actually quite like the contrasting colours. I'll save that effect for another ship

PR19_Kit

Ye Gods!  :o :o

So you've found the world's only 1/4 bristle brush to paint some of those panels then?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Madhatter

LOL - not quite  ;D

the effect is a lot more subtle in the plastic than in this photo

Old Wombat

I preferred the less subdued version, myself. :-\

Madhatter

If I'm honest,  so did I but the more I look at it the more comfortable I become with that choice. Once I've done the wash, dry brush and penciled in some panel lines, I think it'll look more natural. I've been looking up pics of star destroyer weathering to get a better idea of what to do.

buzzbomb

Still loving everything you are doing here. :wub:

For what it is worth, I prefer what you are doing to bring life to this model

Here are some pix I took of one of the Star Wars Prop models, when the Star Wars Props toured Sydney, apparently in 2009 according to my photo Metadata.

Rather boring monotone.. hence why I like what you are doing.

Madhatter

Hi all

Well, I have finally sorted out my last remaining hurdle and it's onto the final stretch - more or less. Yep, I have finally sorted out my mounting device and at long last, I will be able to slip the ship on and off it's mount (I'm not sure how many times I would want to but for transportation this will be invaluable)

all I have to do is attach the sleeve onto the bottom of the ship and we're good to go. I've got it so I have 4 separate power lines which I will be able to distribute to hangar bay lights, engines, superstructure and floodlights.

It's by no means pretty but it works which is more important. The wires will travel down the back side of the armature into the base. Once I have the last bit of wire covered, I'll paint it all black

As I said, not the prettiest stuff ever but I had to make do with what I had

Anyway, that's it for now.

As always, thanks for looking

Si