Fairey Zander

Started by 63cpe, August 18, 2018, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Eventough the first entry is getting ready, I started the next entries for this GB.

I started as usual with cleaning all parts. Interior was discarted as a airwaves metal etch set was replacing it. Part of the plan was to remove the lower half of the fuselage from a point right after the radiator to the vertical rudder.
But unfortunately the fuselage broke at two places as a result of thinning the plastic side of the left fuselage half. It's now curing and meanwhile puttied the steps.

More soon..
IMG_20180818_181902265 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180818_181843098 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr
IMG_20180818_181957378 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

Keep on modelling!
Cheers,
David

zenrat

I'm not sure where you are going with this one but i'm sure it's going to be somewhere different...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Fascinating!!! I really like what I see so far.  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

loupgarou

Interesting ide. I am very curious to see what the result will will be. :thumbsup:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

63cpe

The Fairey Zander was a derivate of the Barracuda and followed the design of the earlier Blackburn B-20. Like the B-20 it showed a drastically increase of performance of flying boat designs. It was essentially a floatplane, using a large float under the fuselage for buoyancy, and two smaller floats near the wingtips for stability. In flight, the main float retracted upwards towards the fuselage, fitting into a "notch" to become streamlined as a part of the fuselage. The wing floats folded outwards, somewhat like those on the American Consolidated PBY flying boat design, to become the wingtips. This configuration gave the correct wing incidence for takeoff and for flight and in the latter a much reduced drag compared to the deep hulls of flying boats.

The Fairey Zander was, along with Blackburn, Supermarine, Shorts and Saunders-Roe designs tendered against Air Ministry Specification R1/36. The Fairey Zander was chosen and a contract for a small serie of 25 was signed. While production started more robust, cheaper American flying boats emerged which were also available in greter numbers. The small serie of 25 was never awarded with following contracts.

IMG_5277 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_5282 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_5280 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_5278 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157698217518344/with/45273492782/

David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

I like that a LOT!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The B20 has always fascinated me as a concept, and the Zander carries that basic idea into a new area. Super modelling and thinking.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Oh yes, always liked the idea, never thought of applying it to the Barracuda, excellent work.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 15, 2018, 11:25:29 AM

The B20 has always fascinated me as a concept, and the Zander carries that basic idea into a new area. Super modelling and thinking.

Agree re both the B.20 concept and the Zander  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Thank you gentlemen! much appreciated!

David aka 63cpe

ericr

beautiful floatplanization  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

I didn't that 'floatplanization' was a word before, but it certainly is now.  :thumbsup: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Did you contemplate making the folding mechanisms functional?
Fred