Mustard YT channel - Bartini VVA-14

Started by Weaver, August 18, 2018, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Just found a good Youtube channel called Mustard (guess what I was searching for...). The guy does educational videos about aircraft and other tech issues, with some really slick CGI to show never-built, or rarely photographed, types in operation.

This video on Hovertrains should interest Kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXEFj0t7Ek

Here's one on the Convair 990A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHw3nRjj5xc

and here's one on the US SST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Zr480Tn4

Some joker took a screenshot of his Boeing 2707 flying overhead at a great height, and sent it to a US aviation journal as a snap taken near Area 51. Embarrassingly, they didn't recognise the type and put a call out on Twitter for help...  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

ive also seen that channel, they also have an interesting video on the Buran and the Bristol Brabazon  :thumbsup:
i already clicked the subscribe button  ;)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

I watched the hovertrain one at some length, very interesting indeed.

Sadly he's a long way out with his description of the wheel/rail interface. He totally ignores Prof. Alan Wickens work at BR in the late 60s, early 70s (he was my ultimate boss there) which was the REAL reason why railways are able to run at much higher speeds nowadays, and one reason why the UK Government backed the APT over the Tracked Hovercraft project.

It wasn't that the coning angles were lessened, it was a totally different shape to the wheel profile.

Sorry, off on a hobby-horse there.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 19, 2018, 03:53:10 AM
I watched the hovertrain one at some length, very interesting indeed.

Sadly he's a long way out with his description of the wheel/rail interface. He totally ignores Prof. Alan Wickens work at BR in the late 60s, early 70s (he was my ultimate boss there) which was the REAL reason why railways are able to run at much higher speeds nowadays, and one reason why the UK Government backed the APT over the Tracked Hovercraft project.

It wasn't that the coning angles were lessened, it was a totally different shape to the wheel profile.

Sorry, off on a hobby-horse there.........

If you'd like to write a short account of that, I'd be more than happy to post it as a comment or send it to him on Twitter for you if you don't have logons to do that yourself.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I'll PM something to you H, in  a day or so I expect as I'm PSRing and painting like crazy just now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Logan Hartke

Kit's really going to be interested in the latest video on the APT:

https://youtu.be/nDN7PPW4AE8

I'd love to know your thoughts on it, too.

Cheers,

Logan

PR19_Kit

H posted a link to that one elsewhere on here y'day Logan.

I'm almost struck speechless with rage at some of the STUPID comments he made!  :banghead:

And as for the last bit about the British railway system buying back the technology after we'd '.....sold the patent to Italy....', it's just total rubbish. It DIDN'T happen!

Regards
Kit

Logan Hartke

Sorry about that! I searched when I should have just browsed. I thought you'd find some issues with it!

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Veeerry interesting.  :thumbsup:

I can't help feeling there was a fundamental flaw in Bartini's thinking over his planned use of dunking sonar from a VVA-14 though. Dunking sonar has to be used while hovering with a helicopter, with zero forward movement, and the only way to do that with a VVA-14 would have been to use its umpteen lift jets to hover.

When you've got 10+ 10000 lbs thrust lift jets beating seven bells out of the surface of the sea, how the devil could you hope ANY sonar to work in close proximity?

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2021, 05:18:40 AM
Veeerry interesting.  :thumbsup:

I can't help feeling there was a fundamental flaw in Bartini's thinking over his planned use of dunking sonar from a VVA-14 though. Dunking sonar has to be used while hovering with a helicopter, with zero forward movement, and the only way to do that with a VVA-14 would have been to use its umpteen lift jets to hover.

When you've got 10+ 10000 lbs thrust lift jets beating seven bells out of the surface of the sea, how the devil could you hope ANY sonar to work in close proximity?

LMAO - EXACTLY the comment I left on the video... ;D

What might have worked would be to set down on the water and then deploy a dipping sonar with all the engines off, or at least idling.

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on July 18, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

What might have worked would be to set down on the water and then deploy a dipping sonar with all the engines off, or at least idling.

I don't think that would work well in anything above a force two sea if that!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Quote from: Gondor on July 18, 2021, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: Weaver on July 18, 2021, 10:12:46 AM

I don't think that would work well in anything above a force two sea if that!

Gondor

Well the sea state you can use dipping sonar in has a limit whatever the platform. If the height of the waves is greater than the length of your cable... :o

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

I was thinking as much the height of the waves for landing the craft in the first place so you can then dunk the sonar.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....