DONE +++ 1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2 of the RAF SAOEU (Qinetiq plc.). 2010

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 22, 2018, 06:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Well, once again it's a bit early, but there's already a plan and motivation for submission #7, a relatively simple one: a Short Tucano in RAF service around 2010, just with a "different" livery (cammo, of course) and probably armed like the type's export versions. Nothing spectacular. Basis will be the Premiere kit from 1989, which looks reasonably (and disturbingly) good in the box, but I have read wondrous things about the kit's plastic and its unwillingness to cooperate with standard styrene glue. We'll see... First, the beauty pics for the Barghest have to be finalized and edited.

Dizzyfugu

Work started yesterday evening. Not a bad kit, but nothing for those who are faint at heart. Parts look pretty crisp, soft, engraved panel lines, with some flash, a bent dashboard cover and relatively thick sprue attachment points, some sinkholes (propeller, fuselage underside) and not a single part really matches the other - nothing you would not expect from a short-run kit. Reminds me a little of a mediocre Matchbox kit (like the Meteor night fighter).

Goes together without major problems so far, but needs PSR literally everywhere. Nose filled with as much lead as possible, as well as a styrene tube for a metal axis for the propeller. Cockpit is basic, but I'll take it OOB and just pimp the seats with trigger handles and filled headrests. The kit also comes with a pair of very nice pilot figures, which I will probably use in order to hide the internal bleakness.

The Wooksta!

It's the PM kit....  It was the only game in town until the Airfix one came out in late 1990.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TheChronicOne

I had no glue problems when I built mine. I just used regular ol' Testors red. Also, just when you think you have enough weight in it.... add some more. I used straight up lead and still didn't hit the mark and had to add a clear post just behind the main gear...   :banghead:

Looking forward to it... these are neat lil airplanes.  :lol:
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 23, 2018, 03:07:12 AM
It's the PM kit....  It was the only game in town until the Airfix one came out in late 1990.

Ah, I thought so... I somewhat had Pioneer2 as manufacturer in the back of my mind, and the Premiere logo typo is also very similar.

I also did not encounter any glue issues, but I am afraid that my lead load will also not be sufficient in order to keep the Tucano on its front leg. I might try to hide a little more in the cockpit, though.

Rheged

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 23, 2018, 04:26:09 AM
I am afraid that my lead load will also not be sufficient in order to keep the Tucano on its front leg. I might try to hide a little more in the cockpit, though.

Is there a market for cast lead propellers to sort out this problem?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Well, I have seen white metal propellers as aftermarket parts, but I am not certain about a Tucano option. There's a resin replacement, from Pavla, IIRC, though.

Dizzyfugu

Building process is more or less finished, we're about to add paint. The Tucano is left mostly OOB, I just added some antennae for a beefier look and four wing pylons, which will receive a light weapon load (minigun pods and missile launch tubes). Despite some more lead the model won't sit properly on its nose wheel...  :-\

AS.12

I know this is an RAF build, but curiously the Brazilian air force was interested in the strengthened, Garrett-engined Tucano for weapons-training which could have led to a strange license-back-to-EMBRAER deal!  I think they wanted a few dozen but the idea fizzled-out.

Dizzyfugu

Painting and decals done (the Tucano even received a shark mouth! ;D), final touches on the way. But I am not certain when beauty pics and backgorund story will follow.

TheChronicOne

Instead of a Bird Beak?!   lol    Nice!!!   It's hard to go wrong with shark mouth!!!!
-Sprues McDuck-

Dizzyfugu

I thought so, too. The whole thing looks pretty dry, and some extra nose decoration adds a little excitement.

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2; aircraft "ZG503/O" of the Royal Air Force SAOEU (Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit); Qinetiq plc., Boscombe Down, 2010 (Whif/Modified Premiere kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2; aircraft "ZG503/O" of the Royal Air Force SAOEU (Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit); Qinetiq plc., Boscombe Down, 2010 (Whif/Modified Premiere kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The Short Tucano is a two-seat turboprop basic trainer built by Short Brothers in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It is a licence-built version of the Brazilian Embraer EMB-312 Tucano. Development of the Tucano started in May 1984 after an agreement between Embraer and Short Brothers to meet a requirement to replace the BAC Jet Provost as a basic trainer with the Royal Air Force. The Royal Air Force issued Air Staff Target 412 to define the requirement for a high-performance turboprop trainer. A shortlist of designs competed for the contract; the other types considered were the Pilatus PC-9, the NDN-1T Turbo-Firecracker and the Australian Aircraft Consortium (AAC) A.20 Wamira II.

In 1984 Embraer sent Shorts the seventh EMB-312 airframe off the production line for modifications in order to meet AST-412 requirements. The type was displayed in September 1984 at the Farnborough Airshow featuring an uprated PT6A-25C2 engine and a ventral air brake to meet required stall speed of 60kt. However, tests undertaken at Boscombe Down later on that year indicated the need to re-engine the aircraft (to meet the RAF requirement for time to height) and the Garrett TPE331 was chosen.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

On 21 March 1985, the Short Tucano proposal was declared the winner of the AST.412 contract worth £126 million for 130 aircraft and an option for a further 15, but the option was never taken up. The first flight of the prototype EMB-312G2 which featured a four-bladed Hartzell propeller with the Garrett TPE331-10 engine took place in Brazil on 14 February of the following year, the aircraft being then disassembled and airlifted back to Belfast on 29 March 1986 to fly again just ten days later. In June, the TPE331-10 engine was replaced by the TPE331-12B, a major difference being the integration of an Electronic Engine Controller (EEC) system.

In addition to the revised engine, the major differences of the Shorts Tucano are a strengthened airframe for an improved fatigue life, a cockpit layout similar to the Hawk advanced trainer, a revised oxygen system, a flight data recorder, a four-bladed propeller, ventral airbrake and restyled wingtips. Two Martin-Baker MB 8LC ejection seats are used and the canopy was modified to meet the RAF's bird strike requirements. During its production run, Shorts commonly promoted the airframe as being "100% British-built". In order to meet RAF requirements, the EMB-312 has some 900 modifications reducing commonality with the original aircraft to only 50%.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The first standard production model T.Mk 1 was flown on 30 December 1986 and the official rollout took place on 20 January 1987. First deliveries to the RAF took place in 1989, while the last delivery to RAF occurred 25 January 1993.
In addition to the primary order from the RAF, export customers emerged for the Shorts-produced Tucanos. The Kenyan Air Force ordered a total of 12 units and a further 16 Tucanos were exported to Kuwait. The Tucanos serving in the Kuwait Air Force were furnished to be armed and combat-capable for the purposes of weapons training and light attack duties; each aircraft features four pylons capable of mounting various rocket pods, cannons, bombs, and auxiliary fuel tanks.

In RAF service the Short Tucano replaced the Jet Provost as the basic trainer, preparing the student pilots for progression to BAe Hawk advanced flying training. The aircraft proved to be 70% cheaper to operate than its predecessor and the Tucano's accident record has also been remarkably better than other ab-initio training aircraft, with only five aircraft written off with no fatalities in over 20 years.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

In March 2007, regarding experiences from the War in Afghanistan, the British Parliament was debating the idea of replacing Harriers and Tornados for armed Short Tucanos during close air support missions. This led to the Tucano TGR.2, an armed version with extensive modification, since the RAF aircraft were not fitted with wing hardpoints.
The Tucano TGR.2 was created from existing T.1 trainers in the course of standard overhaul procedures through the VT Group, which supported maintenance for the RAF. 22 aircraft were converted in the course of 2008-9, primarily through new, reinforced wings with four hardpoints that could carry up to 1.000 lb ordnance, similar to the Tucano export models. Under the hood, avionics were upgraded, too, so that the machine could carry podded sensors like FLIR pods for a limited all-weather capability or a laser target illuminator, so that smart weapons (including laser-guide bombs or the Brimstone missile) could be effectively deployed. Other external weapon loads include machine gun and cannon pods, unguided missiles and iron  bombs of up to 500 lb caliber. Furthermore, up to eight Starstreak launch tubes for self-defense or against other aircraft or helicopters could be carried, too.
The full trainer capability was retained, so that the T.1's full mission spectrum remained covered, but armed training was now made possible, too. During attack missions the aircraft would be typically flown by single pilot only, even though surveillance and  Forward Air Control missions would require a crew of two.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Tucano T.1 trainer was scheduled to be withdrawn from service in 2015, and it will be replaced by the winner of the UK Military Flying Training System (UKMFTS) programme. The armed TGR.2 will be kept in service for some further years (probably 2020) and complement Operational Conversion Units, primarily for basic and weapon training, but also as aggressor aircraft in dissimilar training at low altitude.

General characteristics:
    Crew: one–two
    Length: 32 ft 4 in (9.85 m)
    Wingspan: 37 ft 0 in (11.28 m)
    Height: 11 ft 1¾ in (3.40 m)
    Wing area: 208 ft² (19.3 m²)
    Empty weight: 4,447 lb (2,017 kg)
    Max. takeoff weight: 7,220 lb (3,275 kg)

Powerplant:
    1 Garrett TPE331-12B turboprop, 1,100 shp (820 kW)

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 274 kn (315 mph, 507 km/h) (at 10,000–15,000 ft)
    Cruise speed: 180/240 (low level) knots (253 mph, 407 km/h) (economy cruise)
    Never exceed speed: 300 kts (322 mph, 555 km/h)
    Stall speed: 69 kn (80 mph, 128 km/h) (flaps and gear down)
    Range: 900 nmi (1,035 miles, 1,665 km)
    Service ceiling: 34,000 ft (10,363 m)
    Rate of climb: 3,510 ft/min (17.8 m/s)
    Wing loading: 28.6 lb/ft² (140 kg/m²)
    Power/mass: 0.152 hp/lb (0.250 kW/kg)

Armament:
    No internal weapons, but 4× underwing hardpoints for 1,000 lb (454 kg) of stores

The kit and its assembly:
The basic idea had been a camouflaged Short Tucano in RAF service, namely in the NATO Green/Lichen Green livery typical for the RAF's Harrier GR.5. I also had already a kit stashed away, a Tucano from Premiere. The model was built basically OOB, just with a few cosmetic additions. The kit itself is rather simple and reminds of a mediocre Matchbox kit: without "trenches", and some nice details like the wheels or separate clear parts for the position lights. But nothing actually fits together well, PSR was necessary literall everywhere. Certainly not a kit for beginners.

Personal changes are:
- Ejection trigger handles and filled headrests for the seats; HUDs on the dashboards
- A metal axis for the propeller and a styrene tube adapter in the front fuselage
- Some additional blade antennae and radar warning bumps
- Flare/chaff dispensers under the stabilizers
- Four underwing hardpoints with ordnance (a pair of slightly pimped SUU-11 minigun pods from a Matchbox AH-1 and two pairs of missile launch tubes, IIRC these come from a H0 scale Bo 105 wreck and are actually TOW launch tubes)

Despite my attempts to add as much lead as possible to the nose, the kit still won't rest on its front wheel and tip over...

1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2; aircraft "ZG503/O" of the Royal Air Force SAOEU (Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit); Qinetiq plc., Boscombe Down, 2010 (Whif/Modified Premiere kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2; aircraft "ZG503/O" of the Royal Air Force SAOEU (Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit); Qinetiq plc., Boscombe Down, 2010 (Whif/Modified Premiere kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Painting and markings:
As mentioned above, this is basically a livery whif – and the green/green paint scheme is rather simple, too. For the NATO Green I used Tamiya XF-67, which is supposed to be the authentic tone. In the past I have used other shades of Green (Humbrol 75, but it's too dark and bluish, and 102, which lacks yellow), but with mixed results.
The undersides, Lichen Green, were painted with Xtracolors X024, which is supposed to be the authentic tone. At first I found it to look much too dark and murky – at least for a small 1:72 model – but in combination with the NATO Green it works well. To my surprise, the tone looks quite similar to RLM 02!
For some better contrast of the soft engravings, I gave the kit a light black ink wash and did some post-shading with FS 34096 (Modelmaster) on the upper surfaces and Revell's 45 underneath.
The cockpit was painted in Dark Sea Grey (Tamiya XF-54), while the landing gear wells became Light Aircraft Grey (Humbrol 166) and the struts, as well as the wheel discs, white.
The propeller spinner and the blades' back side became black, while the front was painted in light grey (Humbrol 64), with blade tips in red-white-red.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Decals came from various aftermarket sheets (Sky Models, XXX), primarily from Harrier GR.5 aircraft. Some stencils had to be replaced, since Premiere's OOB decal sheet turned out to be highly brittle, and any decal without any color foundation disintegrated immediately upon contact.
The canopy frames, as well as the black walkways on the wing roots, were created with generic decal stripe material.
The fancy shark mouth was a spontaneous addition, since I found the all-green aircraft to look rather bleak – and its low-viz design in black and light grey blends well into the overall look. The decals originally come from an Academy AH-64, but the eyes were placed in a higher position and the area of the front landing gear well was improvised with paint.
Finally, the kit was sealed with a coat of matt acrylic varnish (Italeri).

1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2; aircraft "ZG503/O" of the Royal Air Force SAOEU (Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit); Qinetiq plc., Boscombe Down, 2010 (Whif/Modified Premiere kit) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Short Tucano TGR.2; aircraft "ZG503/O" of the Royal Air Force SAOEU (Strike Attack Operational Evaluation Unit); Qinetiq plc., Boscombe Down, 2010 (Whif/Modified Premiere kit) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Well, nothing spectacular, but I must say that I find the green/green livery rather attractive, and it works IMHO well with the modern Tucano.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Doug K

Looks really brilliant! Love the paint scheme, I have a Tucano in my stash for the Scottish Airforce training squadron. I was thinking it would be good for a dual role, I like either a Swedish-style splinter or a Slovak digital camo..... I'll get the Osprey done first!