Curtiss P-36 Mohawk

Started by NARSES2, August 23, 2018, 06:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on September 04, 2018, 02:58:08 AM
If I glue onto paint, I always clear coat it first. Solved that problem! And, the CA works better on clear-coated to plastic or clear-coated to clear-coated adhesion. Used to have the same problem.....  part would come off and the acrylic paint did, too, in a patch that looks like a frogs foot. See how I tied that in there. . . . lol..

Interesting
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Major painting done and masking tape is off. Not to much touching up to be done so hopefully start on the transfers this weekend. Then it's just the fiddly bits to be done.

She should be finished by the G.B. end date.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Transfers are on so we are on the final stretch.....touching wood.

NARSES2

Canopy framing is done although the canopy needed the hot water treatment before it would open up enough in order to get it to fit, and almost all the other final bits are done as well. Should get her finished by Friday I hope.

TheChronicOne

What is with so many canopies being.. uhh... like... wrong size? Too small, too narrow, too wide, etc etc etc.   It doesn't happen all the time but I've noticed that it can sometimes be a running theme across different manufacturers with seemingly no rhyme or reason...   for being such a focal point and important part of a build, you'd think they'd try a little harder to make sure it really fits and looks correctly. And not only this, but just general accuracy issues as well. Weeeeeeeird.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I've heard manufacturers say that the clear plastic they use for canopies is much more difficult to mould than the normal stuff.

But that still doesn't excuse them from making the mould right in the first place!

(Mach 2, are you reading this?)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 03, 2018, 09:21:31 AM
I've heard manufacturers say that the clear plastic they use for canopies is much more difficult to mould than the normal stuff.

I've heard the same thing Kit, and it does seem to be a problem you experience more with older kits.

In all honesty this was only a fraction to narrow to sit in the open position, in the closed it was perfect, and that could be me ? Anyway as said a dunk in hot water and it was fine.

She is now finished, but on getting the camera out I discovered the battery needed charging, so photos and a very short backstory (read excuse) will be up over the weekend.

NARSES2

Well here's the finished model. I think I've said before (probably on more than one occasion) that I quite like both AZ and RS Models kit. They seem to have almost grown in parallel, but if I'm honest I think RS have overtaken AZ slightly in the last year or so when it comes to finesse of some of the smaller parts in particular. Nonetheless this kit goes together nicely and the internal bits and bobs in particular fit without a problem and the fuselage closes up nicely around them, something that cannot always be said for "limited run" kits. I've another two of these in the stash, different boxing's, and they will stay at the front of it, rather than get pushed to the back or indeed sold off, so they've passed the "would I build another ?" question we quite often ask ourselves.

The kit is built out of the box and has simply had a markings change. I've used the transfers from the Airfix Curtiss Tomahawk IIB on the assumption that 73 Squadron had Mohawks before re-equipping with Tomahawks. So she appears in the colours and markings of an aircraft flown by Squadron Leader Peter Wykeham-Barnes, No.73 Squadron, Royal Air Force, El Gamil, Egypt, late 1940. 73 squadrons Mohawks remained in the standard European colour scheme of dark earth and dark green over sky under surfaces, as indeed did their Tomahawks initially, and they didn't receive their more familiar desert colour scheme until latter in 1941.

So a nice simple build which would have been far quicker in the completion if I hadn't been away for 10 days or so and then faced my normal problems of getting back into the swing with part completed builds.

NARSES2

Isn't it amazing what you notice when you post a photo ? Need to go back and align the flipping prop  :banghead: Still it's only pushed in.

TheChronicOne

Yeah buddy!!!!   That's killer... open cockpit is a nice change of pace.   Last pic is my fav, I wish I could plop down my Spitfire next to it because they camo matches!  ;D 

And.... always... I love a good Hawk!!!  :wub: :wub: :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

The Wooksta!

Is that the same Wykenham-Barnes that commanded 23 Sqn and flew Mosquitos from Malta?  I've a couple of photos of him in front of a Mossie on Malta and met one of the blokes who flew with him.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

zenrat

Hmmmmm, i'm just getting little blue squares with a ? in the middle.

Same with pics on other threads.  All of them hosted on BotoPhucket... :o

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 05, 2018, 01:55:25 AM

Hmmmmm, i'm just getting little blue squares with a ? in the middle.

Same with pics on other threads.  All of them hosted on BotoPhucket... :o

I got that just now too, but when I'd reloaded the page they all came back.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Well reloading doesn't work for me.
Is it just me or are they up to their old tricks?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

nighthunter

Well I'm not seeing anything... :(
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*