"The Chieftain" - Youtube tanks channel

Started by Weaver, August 26, 2018, 04:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Nick Moran, aka "The Chieftain" has an excellent Youtube channel talking about all things tank. He served in the US Army on M1s and also did a lot of the research for the World of Tanks game. Well worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp4j9Y9L6jie44iZroCb99A
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Love the Chieftain's videos but I think he keeps forgetting that he's somewhat taller than the average, especially for the WW2 era vehicles he reviews.

(Note: I was about the right height for a Ferret scout car driver when I was 11 years old.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 26, 2018, 05:14:37 AM
Love the Chieftain's videos but I think he keeps forgetting that he's somewhat taller than the average, especially for the WW2 era vehicles he reviews.

(Note: I was about the right height for a Ferret scout car driver when I was 11 years old.)

In just about every video I've watch he's had some sort of problem. Even in the M3 Scout Car, which is open-topped, he found that the skate-rail and window frame were right in his line of view so he'd either have to drive it crouched down like an old lady or peering up like a meerkat.... ;D

Have you seen the Bovington ones he's done in collaboration with Lindybeige?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Weaver on August 26, 2018, 05:31:33 AM

Not yet but I've been pretty random about watching his vid's, usually when I find them looking for something else. Now that I've Bookmarked the link you posted, well, I can see a lot of hours being consumed staring at the computer screen. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Nick Moran is an interesting fellow.  He does forget that he is over six feet tall, while most WWII AFVs were designed to be crewed by average height fellows (ie about 5'7-9" tall),  Some of his research is interesting.  He served originally in IIRC the Irish Defence Forces and then migrated to the US and joined the US Army.  His remarks on the differences between the two forces WRT to drill and dress were quite interesting.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 27, 2018, 03:18:44 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 26, 2018, 05:31:33 AM

Not yet but I've been pretty random about watching his vid's, usually when I find them looking for something else. Now that I've Bookmarked the link you posted, well, I can see a lot of hours being consumed staring at the computer screen. ;D

They're on Lindy's channel, in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc78EZqHA3U&list=PLzzh7AuEBkEn5_3e69PiYq8LtwH22X6Yq

- Indiana Jones