Main Menu

Tornado F6

Started by PR19_Kit, August 28, 2018, 05:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

F3s did deploy to the Gulf for top cover for the GR1s, but didn't see any actual action, and they remained in grey rather than the 'pink' GR1s. :(

Dave Kitbasher's come up with a good idea and I'm going to explore that, and I expect it'll involve some SERIOUS decal designing......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Just a thought, but I have a long term plan for an updated Tornado EF.5 using an F.3 base.  My plan is to give it a Have Glass paint job.  True enough it's still grey, but not the same scheme seen so often.  I don't think I've ever seen a Tornado in a Have Glass type scheme so at least it would be different and operationally totally possible and possible I would think. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Almost all the PSR's done on the F6 now, and the fin and intakes are painted too.

I've filed down the small space between the exhausts to act as the 'base' for the 'base burning' and re-shaped the base of the fin to improve the airflow toward the base.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Steel Penguin

looking good and the base burn will make it extra special
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Gondor

That space is normally used for the inboard side of the thrust reversing bucket mechanisim. So if you replace what goes there you could need a very long runway for landing on. Saying that, one of the pictures in Base Burning Appendix does show the F-104 and the Lightning with their Base Burners being either at the base of the fin ur near the base of the fin which means you could fit your base burned below the rudder at the base of the fin too and still have the mechanism for the thrust revering buckets as well.
Just a though as it's your modle to build as you wish.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Gondor on August 06, 2022, 09:52:04 AM
That space is normally used for the inboard side of the thrust reversing bucket mechanisim. So if you replace what goes there you could need a very long runway for landing on. Saying that, one of the pictures in Base Burning Appendix does show the F-104 and the Lightning with their Base Burners being either at the base of the fin ur near the base of the fin which means you could fit your base burned below the rudder at the base of the fin too and still have the mechanism for the thrust revering buckets as well.

Gondor

Wouldn't really need that much more runway.  The Reversers were added to improve short field performance but in reality they were used normally to reduce brake wear.  Landing distance without them would not be an operational issue.  The only fighter/bombers to ever be equipped with reversers were the Tornado and Viggen to the best of my knowledge. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on August 06, 2022, 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: Gondor on August 06, 2022, 09:52:04 AM

Gondor

Wouldn't really need that much more runway.  The Reversers were added to improve short field performance but in reality they were used normally to reduce brake wear.  Landing distance without them would not be an operational issue.  The only fighter/bombers to ever be equipped with reversers were the Tornado and Viggen to the best of my knowledge.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that the RAF's bomber version of Concorde wasn't going to have the reverser buckets installed ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

While in the caravan with my daughter (did you know she was the RAF's.......Oh, you did, OK) at the end of runway 23 at Lossie one day, we had a GR4 had to make a flapless landing, which was 'interesting', to say the least! His touch-down speed was well over 200 kts and the tyre smoke was AWESOME, but he didn't use the reversers! They put the barrier up though, and that stopped him before he got as far as Kinloss.....  :o

The F6s had a special internal bellcrank linkage for the inboard reverser mount, because it was designed with the base burning base in position, the only aircraft to ever use the technique.

(Kit's 2nd Law applies..... ;))

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Silver Sands Caravan Park perhaps? The one with the tap danceing seaguls on the roof in the morning? There is a golf course that goes across the aproach path to that runway, one of my sisters was not impressed when a Victor K2 decided to open the throttles and go round directly above her as she cowered next to one of the poles that held one of the lights.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Scotaidh

Quote from: Gondor on August 07, 2022, 02:25:56 AM
Silver Sands Caravan Park perhaps? The one with the tap danceing seaguls on the roof in the morning? There is a golf course that goes across the aproach path to that runway, one of my sisters was not impressed when a Victor K decided to open the throttles and go round directly above her as she cowered next to one of the poles that held one of the lights.

Gondor

I'd have been impressed, had it been me there!  :D
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

No, THE caravan, the red & white one that the RAF have standing at the threshold of the active runway.

It helps to have friends (or relations....) in high places sometimes.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Oooooh... THAT caravan!

Gondor

CammNut

Quote from: AS.12 on August 28, 2018, 08:46:36 AM
One thing I've never discovered about the IDS is ... why it was the length it was. 

The ADV had lower drag due to better fineness-ratio, so there must have been some specific reason that the IDS was constrained to 17 metres.

Joining this late - the Tornado IDS was originally longer but a chunk of fuselage was taken out during design at the insistence of Germany to reduce cost - weight being the primary parameter used to calculate the cost of aircraft in those days. Needless to say, it didn't make the aircraft any cheaper.

McColm

You could fill the space with a parachute deployed to slow the aircraft down for landings if the systems fail. Do they use disc brakes or drums?