Army Light Aviation and Helicopter Museum (ALAT) Dax, France

Started by Knightflyer, August 30, 2018, 03:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Well I'm still posting from my plane-fest birthday present/holiday in June, but having just got back from the family holiday to Southern France I thought I'd start posting from the one aeronautical visit I managed to make whilst out there.

The "Musée de l'ALAT et de l'hélicoptère" is located in Dax

The first part of the museum relates to the history of French (military) Light Aviation. Few if any captions in English (my problem not theirs!) but lots of great photographs and scale models related to the history. Special attention is given to the Indochina war and the battle for independence in Algeria.

Then we get to the hanger. Lots of unusual stuff (to eyes used to a preponderance of British / US manufactured air-frames) mixed in with more familiar aircraft wearing 'different clothes' Information supplied for most of the exhibits in French, Spanish and English  ;D

The 'gate-guard' - at a nearby traffic island!

Stampe SV4c

Hiller UH-12A

Alouette III

Bell 47G

Nord 3202

Gazelle

Max Holste 1521 Broussard

more to follow when I have the time  <_<

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Brilliant stuff, thanks for posting.  :thumbsup:

It's an aircraft recognition contest thread too.  ;D

What was that open aircraft frame hanging in the roof? It looked like a full size Kiel Kraft kit!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Great photos.

Has the Nord 3203 got kneeling undercarriage ? Or is it just idiosyncratic ? (Nothing French could simply be described as "odd"  ;D)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AS.12

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2018, 06:27:37 AM

Has the Nord 3203 got kneeling undercarriage ? Or is it just idiosyncratic ? (Nothing French could simply be described as "odd"  ;D)

Just trailing-link, in expectation that les études would be prone to giving it a thumping on landing. The Fokker S-11 had a similar arrangement but was rather fragile.

NARSES2

Quote from: AS.12 on August 30, 2018, 06:57:29 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 30, 2018, 06:27:37 AM

Just trailing-link, in expectation that les études would be prone to giving it a thumping on landing. The Fokker S-11 had a similar arrangement but was rather fragile.

Ah, thank you  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.