Build: Aoshima 1/24th LB Works Skyline Nissan R35 GT-R
Build: Kinetic 1/48th Su-33 Sea Flanker
Article: SMW 2018
Article: Recce Meteor variants
Build: Airfix 1/48th Meteor FR.9
Build: Takom 1/35th KrAZ 260 truck
Build: Valom 1/72nd Handley-Page Harrow Mk.II
80+ Reviews
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I opened the letter box this morning to find September, October, AND November issues of AMW.  I guess they had been held up somewhere due to the suspension of international economy airmail services.
Or, Key publications have started using the same tramp steamer service Kalmbach used to use when I subscribed to Scale Auto (which I note has just folded - I warned them not to include diecast models but did they listen?).

I have a lot of reading to do.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 22, 2020, 02:35:41 AM

Or, Key publications have started using the same tramp steamer service Kalmbach used to use when I subscribed to Scale Auto (which I note has just folded - I warned them not to include diecast models but did they listen?).

It has? Oh bother, and other expletives. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes it has.  Kalmbach claim they will be including more car model related content in Fine Scale Modeller.  I'm not holding my breath.
I stopped subscribing to Scale Auto some years back because the exchange rate went the wrong way and it became too expensive.  I told them though that it was in protest against their re-inclusion of diecast models in the magazine.

I note there has not been an Airfix Model World calendar this year.
Shame, i'll have to find something else for the back of the toilet door.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

As luck would have it I managed to pick up the very last issue of Scale Auto y'day.

I agree about FSM, it always seems to be a place holder for aircraft modellers in LARGE scales to me. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 23, 2020, 01:47:20 AM

Bit early yet ? The calendar stall has just opened up in the Whitgift Centre so I suppose it's about due ? Need to look for my main calendar next time I'm in Croydon.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 23, 2020, 06:05:56 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 23, 2020, 01:47:20 AM

Bit early yet ? The calendar stall has just opened up in the Whitgift Centre so I suppose it's about due ? Need to look for my main calendar next time I'm in Croydon.

Not really.  I'm pretty sure the calendar usually comes with the September issue because every year I think "hmmmmm, that's early".
Fred

NARSES2

Ah, maybe, but a lot of things are running late this year.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Maybe they know something we don't ... & there's not going to be a 2021! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

QuoteI warned them not to include diecast models but did they listen?

They were hoping that the model collectors who make up the high-end of the 'diecast'
business would read the magazine, which was an unlikely event as they collect rather
than build.

Of course plastic-modelers looking down their noses didn't help.  :banghead:

There are some truly astounding 'diecasts' available out there and there were
some decent conversion/correction articles in Scale Auto using a diecast model
as the starting point. There is a very large number of autos and trucks that have
never been done in styrene or resin that are available as diecasts.

CMC produce incredible 'dieca$ts', here's their Talbot*-Lago 'Teardrop'.
https://www.cmc-modelcars.de/en/product/cmc-talbot-lago-coupe-t150-c-ss-figoni-falaschi-teardrop-1937-39

* If you hear someone pronouncing Talbot as 'Tal-bow', gently correct them as Talbot
was a Brit and the name is pronounced Tal-but.
;)

zenrat

I agree die casts can be modified but I never saw an issue of Scale Auto with an article about doing that.  They were aiming at the collectors as you say, and as the collectors already had their own magazines I didn't see why they should be given space in ours.

I am a member of the Australian Model Car Club, the membership of which are mostly die cast collectors.  Only a few of us are builders.  This does mean however that I get to see what the other blokes are spending their hard earned on, and there are some astonishing models being produced for those with deep pockets.

The most valuable model we've had presented at the monthly meeting though was an early Chinese made tinplate toy truck with a digger mounted on the back.  There was only one other example surviving and the  owner had paid $17,000 for it.
Fred

Gondor

Wonderful picture on the front of the July 2021 Magazine  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Got my AMW 2024 calendar today.  I guess I won't be going past January... :wub:
;D

Fred

NARSES2