Miles Aerovan

Started by PR19_Kit, September 23, 2018, 09:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

The Aerovan doesn't appeal as a subject (and Kit's experience with this kit reinforces that), but it's got me hoping that Airfix at some point repops their Skyvan as a 'Vintage Series' offering.

Never owned one but really fancy building an Omani AF example.

So Mr Airfix, if you're reading this can you reissue the Skyvan, and while you're at it the Islander, please?

Rant/thread hijack over.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

I'm with you there Dave, the Skyvan's a lovely little kit, and has an RW connection with the Aerovan too.

The ultra-long span Hurel-Dubois winged HDM.105 Aerovan was to be developed into the larger HDM.106 Caravan, but that project was shelved and the design passed to Shorts. They then SHORTENED the wings (Heretics!) and turned it into the Skyvan.

Naturally I'm tempted to get a Skyvan kit and put the proper Caravan wings on it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I'd like to be associated with Dave Kitbasher's plea for  Airfix to re-do the Skyvan and Islander...............a trislander would be nice, too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on January 04, 2021, 05:39:24 AM

..............a trislander would be nice, too.

As I said to Dave, a Trislander's a no brainer, they could recut thee existing moulds for some of it, and with careful design they could make either type from the same kit. What's not to like?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After a LOT of cutting and filing and sanding and gluing I've at last got the wings in position. The joint areas, particularly the one on the right hand rear corner, are anything BUT pretty, as you can see in the pic.

It's going to need a fair amount more packing and filing and sanding etc. Maybe even adding some thin styrene sheet over the top of the kit panels. Maybe even the use of a G-cramp to pull the right side of the rear door into position!

[Sigh]

Oh yes, I did have one plus point doing this. I managed to pull the tail boom back down  into the correct position by chopping off the entire rear end of the funny looking box thing! It obviously didn't need to be there in the first place!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Looks a bit like one of those EGG Planes  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on January 05, 2021, 03:05:39 AM

Looks a bit like one of those EGG Planes  :thumbsup:

It is, but for real.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

That looks like one of those kits when you think that carving it from wood might have been the better option...  :-\

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 05, 2021, 04:02:46 AM

That looks like one of those kits when you think that carving it from wood might have been the better option...  :-\

Hysterical laughter here over that Thomas, but you're dead right.  ;D

NOTHING on it fits anything else! :(

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Having seen the picture, Madame R says that the aerovan looks "  like a fat hamster with over-full cheek pouches!"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

Quote from: kitbasher on January 04, 2021, 01:36:34 AM
The Aerovan doesn't appeal as a subject
Uh? As far as I am concerned, I love the Aerovan cockpit shape inside the fuselage curve. So much that maybe I am going to draw a F-16/Aerovan mix, thanks! ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Yes, I've been inpired, thanks! ;)

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I LOVE the Aerovan twin, and it'd look great as a model, but there's NO way I'm building an other one of these heaps of rubbish. :(

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

I think it would need a center engine too.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Or more.

The Aerovan was woefully underpowered even with two on the existing airframe.

IIRC there was a singelton four engined version, but no-one bought it.

Regards
Kit