Miles Aerovan

Started by PR19_Kit, September 23, 2018, 09:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: loupgarou on January 05, 2021, 10:53:43 AM
I think it would need a center engine too.
As requested: <_<

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 05, 2021, 09:13:22 AM
there's NO way I'm building an other one of these heaps of rubbish. :(
So let us focus on finishing the single one, yes <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Kit won't like the idea, but I could imagine to chop off the wings and add a rotor (pkus engine housing) on top and on the tail, maybe from a Mi-2, converting it into a heli? Maybe with some Mi-6-style stub wings?  ;)

PR19_Kit

Not a bad idea at all Thomas, it would make a neat helicopter for sure.  :thumbsup: It'd be a bit reminiscent of the similarly egg shaped Percival P.74.

But the super long spanned HDM 105 would look even better.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I'm sorely tempted to take up Thomas' idea and turn this heap of junk into a chopper. That's after I've 'chopped' it!  :banghead:

While looking over the Aerovan assembly and wondering what to do next, I happened to look at it head on. What the......!

The wings aren't even at right angles to the fuselage! They slant to port about a degree or two, and there's no way they could be assembled any other way or else the upper surfaces would have even  more mis-alignment than they've already got.

I'm not at all sure that this can be fixed, short of sawing off both wing halves and re-gluing them correctly. What I'm actually going to do is give up on the darn thing for a while, for the SECOND time, and come back to it in a month or so.

DON'T watch this pace..........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 06, 2021, 04:29:20 AM
The wings aren't even at right angles to the fuselage! They slant to port about a degree or two
Good! This is what-if OOB! No need to transform inventively, it is already different from RW! ;D (meaning: good! for us what-ifers) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitnut617

Not only an odd looking aircraft, it was used for odd purposes ----

Here it was used for aerodynamic tests of the Mamba nacelle that was going to be used on the Marathon.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

At least it had lots off room inside for the test instrumentation.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yeah, maybe just for the aerodynamics as it didn't have a Mamba installed.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Good thing too, with TEN times the power of the Cirrus Major on the other side the pilot would have needed a VERY strong right leg!  :o

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Kit, I think that you should attack it with a blunt wood saw, then rebuild it into a mini rotordyne/compound helicopter. ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 06, 2021, 04:29:20 AM

Looking at that, it seems as if the major problem isn't in the wing assembly but in how the rear body attaches to the rest. Maybe that can be cut away and realigned, then filled with some splinted plastic? I think you will need to cut the rear twice, though.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

The rear door is on crooked, yes, but that's because the upper edge aligns with the underside of the boom etc. and that's crooked compared the main pod. But the wings are still slanted, there's about 1mm difference in the height of the pod underneath each wing. :(

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Some kits just don't want to be built, do they Kit?  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 05, 2021, 11:48:57 PM
Kit won't like the idea, but I could imagine to chop off the wings and add a rotor (pkus engine housing) on top and on the tail, maybe from a Mi-2, converting it into a heli? Maybe with some Mi-6-style stub wings?  ;)

I did that with a Skyvan (Kaman-style 'egg-beater' rotors nicked from two Hueys) but never finished it. As a result I had a spare set of wings, and one of the things I was tempted to do was exactly what Kit's suggested a few times: use them to stretch the wings of another Skyvan back to the original Hurel-Dubois proportions. Unfortunately, when I was building my British Antarctic Survey Skyvan, I spilled a bottle of glue over the completed wings (again shades of Kit's travails with this build...), totally trashing them, so I had to use the spares to recover from that debacle.

Other aircraft I think would make good helos are the Dornier Skyservant and the Bristol Freighter.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones