Need help ID'ing this aircraft

Started by rickshaw, September 24, 2018, 12:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

I am unsure what this is.  Doesn't anybody have any idea what it might be?

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Somehow that looks a bit 'Miles' to me, not sure why though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

It's a Miles Kestrel (U-5, to be specific). Google's picture search can work wonders, sometimes...  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Kestrel

perttime

" in 1938, the de Havilland Don, that had won the Air Ministry specification T.6/36 contract, proved unsuitable in service, so orders were placed for a production development of the Kestrel called the Miles Master. At the time, it was the largest ever order for an RAF training aircraft. The Master I had some noticeable differences from the Kestrel, such as in the shape of the rear fuselage and fin, the rudder and elevator balancing, the cockpit glazing, and the relocation of the radiator from nose to belly, but was otherwise very similar. "

zenrat

Other then the windscreen, which is a bit too vertical IMO, it's a good looking plane.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Looks a bit like a cross between the Miles M.20 and a P.40 to me ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Interestingly, Brian's image appears to be a photoshop whif.

Here is the same image from wikipedia:

And this quote:

Quote from: wikipediaThe Kestrel did not carry the same military load, though there was provision for a single 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Browning machine gun in the starboard wing outboard of the landing gear, and for a camera in the matching port side position. There is no record that this gun was fitted. There was also provision for eight practice bombs on two centre section racks.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 24, 2018, 01:39:10 AM
It's a Miles Kestrel (U-5, to be specific). Google's picture search can work wonders, sometimes...  ;)

U-5 was only one of three different codes carried by the singular Miles M.9 Kestrel.

As built

After modification with enlarged, deepened chin radiator

In RAF service, modified rear canopy.

The Miles Master was the Miles M.9A, the two dozen Master Fighters, designated M.24
long after the fact, built as a stopgap had a wing mounted armament of six Brownings.
So I'd guess the photoshopping was either someone seeing what the M.9 would look
like with M.24 armament, or they confused the M.9 and M.9A, anyhow no photos
of the M.24 show the guns sticking out as in the altered photo.

As to the name, according to Don Brown's Miles Aircraft since 1925, Putnam 1970,
the Kestrel name came about because Miles already used hawk species names, the R-R
Kestrel name fit perfectly, and Rolls-Royce had purchased a large financial interest in
Phillips & Powis, the original form of the Miles Co., to the tune of £125,000 in preferred
shares thus taking over directorship, backing the aircraft and supplying the engine and
installation engineering, no fools they as if produced it would mean continued sales for
the Kestrel which was on the cusp of having its position usurped by the Merlin.