Super Stretch DC8

Started by PR19_Kit, September 27, 2018, 05:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Tonight's decaling session didn't go so well.  :banghead:

I'd failed to notice that because the script on each side was identical the ends of the stripes needed to slope the opposite way round, and that required some slicing and cutting of the spare stripes to correct them.

Not only that, but the cockpit window decal, which I used from the kit decal sheet, didn't actually fit! I had to cut it in half on the centre line and arrange each side separately.

And to cap it all, the more observant of you will notice the lack of a shamrock on the fin on the starboard side. Even though I printed a spare shamrock neither of them were dense enough, yet they were copied from the port side one. I'll print another couple and see if they work ok.

But progress is being made anyway.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

ericr

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Could you apply the two shamrocks on top of each other to get one decal with good coverage?

I had a decal like that on a Tu-114: for the Soviet flag, they supplied a white flag underneath to get the red to show up correctly.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on October 21, 2018, 10:10:11 AM

Could you apply the two shamrocks on top of each other to get one decal with good coverage?

I tried exactly that Harro, but the top one stuck to the bottom one WELL out of register and I just couldn't part them.

Luckily I have four sheets of Aer Turas decals from other kits and they all have the same size shamrocks, so it should be OK later on this evening.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Are you sure it will have enough power? I had suddenly the idea that 2 additional rear engines would help.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

The Series 70s were well overpowered with 4 x CFM56s, and the Super Stretch 80s were only 9 ft longer than the Super 60s/70s.  ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I was going to paint the engines this evening, but...............

Looking through the RW pics of the -70s Series aircraft reminded me that the CFM-56 engines have these socking great strakes, two per engine, which are not supplied with the kit. Or indeed on any CFM-56 engine kits AFAIK.

You can see them there at the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock positions on each cowling, and I remembered that I had some of them, done in pre-cut etched brass by a company called Fotocut who were around on the 1/144 airliner market maybe 20-30 years ago, so I went for a prowl up in The Loft.

And this is what I found.  :thumbsup: ;D The eight smaller strakes are the ones I wanted, but the other goodies are handy too. There's various wing fences and strakes for all sorts of aircraft, but this is the only complete set I have so I'll scan it so I can reproduce them in styrene for future use.

Here's the first set superglued to an engine, only another six to glue on..........

Regards
Kit

kerick

Nice find! I remember the strakes on engine cowlings now that you mention it. Ones I remember weren't that big but that was on different aircraft. Looks good.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

I'd love to have a rummage in your loft Kit.  It seems to be a cross between a Tardis and Mary Poppins bag.
A modelling cornucopia if you will...

;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 26, 2018, 12:38:02 AM

I'd love to have a rummage in your loft Kit.  It seems to be a cross between a Tardis and Mary Poppins bag.

That describes it pretty well Fred, yes.  ;D

One reason why we bought this house was the size of the loft, and it doesn't have those pesky A frame struts either so there's standing room across a 15-20  ft width of it.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2018, 02:02:49 AM

One reason why we bought this house was the size of the loft, and it doesn't have those pesky A frame struts either so there's standing room across a 15-20  ft width of it.

You can't even crawl through mine.
When installing the ducted heating the apprentice got stuck up there.  We still have to pass him up food 3 times a week...

:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Quote from: zenrat on October 26, 2018, 02:36:23 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2018, 02:02:49 AM

You can't even crawl through mine.
When installing the ducted heating the apprentice got stuck up there.  We still have to pass him up food 3 times a week...

:o

By now he should have slimmed enough to be able to crawl out.  ;D