Super Stretch DC8

Started by PR19_Kit, September 27, 2018, 05:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Lots of single bristle brush work this evening painting the engines after re-priming and spraying them all-over white. There's all sorts of different metallic coloured areas on the exhausts and the pylons, and I'm not sure I'll be up for doing them all. This is 1/144 scale after all......

There's also a little bit of small brush work to do around the tail and nose but it's coming together nicely.

Looks like it's the landing gear next, NOT may fave part of modelling.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Painting the engines hasn't gone as well as I'd hoped. The upper surfaces just in front of the pylons and between the etched strakes look like ploughed fields they're so rough.  :banghead:

I think I'll have to find a narrow sanding stick, sand those bits down and then mask up and re-spray them, darn it. A few more decals to go on the underside of the fuselage first, plus the other shamrock of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've finished all the fiddly little decals on the fuselage and wings now, and done the starboard side shamrock too.

Got to finish those pesky engines and do the landing gear now and it'll be done. Just in time for Telford I hope.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Hell yeah, that looks great!   :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

It's coming on quite well Brad, but the forward fuselage joint isn't all that wonderful. It looks OK in pics but in the real world it's a bit scrappy. Nothing I can do about it right now though, so it'll stay like that for Telford, and I may have at it afterward.

I never do like masking jobs at the best of times, and on 1/144 stuff it's worse, but on 1/144 engines it's a REAL pain!  :banghead:

Hopefully this is the last masking job on this build though.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Your fuselage join sounds like a couple of the cargo doors on my BAC-111. Ever so slight... enough to see upon close inspection but seem to go away in pictures and at adequate distances.

Masking looks good. Looks very familiar, in fact.  ;D I don't see any gaps but then again I've missed my own even staring right at them. Hopefully the second round will be triumphant and the whole plowed field stuff goes away..    Sucks having to go backwards in a build but you're already well on your way back to being caught up.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

The engine smoothing and repainting seems to have gone off OK. The upper surfaces are much smoother now but the nacelles will need another coat of paint before they're done.

I've also forgotten that I'll need one more masking session on the engines in order to do the silver edges to the intakes, never a simple job as the curvature there is so sharp. The tape needs laying on however it will lie, and then the mask line cut with the inevitable new scalpel blade.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 28, 2018, 02:09:48 PM

I think I'll have to find a narrow sanding stick,

I make my own Kit.

I use the double sided masking tape sold in £Store which comes in a pack with a load of very useful double sided sticky tabs. The tape and tabs have a "spongy" middle which actually helps when sanding. I then fix some of the tape to a wooden coffee stirrer (from Costa's  :angel:) or a cocktail stick and then attach some emery paper of whatever grade I want to the other side. I've got loads pre-made of various grades (all marked on the handle)  and various widths, down to 2mm. Only downside is that you can't wet sand, the tape doesn't like it. Damp sanding is fine but not wet sanding.

One of the most used tools on my bench.

I use the tabs attached to clothes pegs to hold smaller parts whilst I'm painting them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Good idea there Chris, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I use oodles of clothes pegs to hold stuff that's being painted too, the engines each had a two peg jig to ensure they stayed off the ground while drying.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Gonna have to hit the dolla sto'.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

OK, that's the engine's done and dusted. Here's one of them with the intake LE strip drying out, held securely in one of Kit's Krazy Klothes Peg Klamps.  ;D

No point in showing the others, they all look the same.

Sorry the pic looks a tad weird, I'm still getting used to my new small camera.

I've just started painting the wheels and gear struts. The fundamental problem with 1/144 airliner kits is that there's ZILLIONS of wheels and they're TINY!  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now we're getting somewhere, it's starting to look like an aeroplane, but a looooong one.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Tophe

:wub: Nice! (even if I preferred the asymmetric half version) ;D ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 29, 2018, 09:29:54 AM

I use oodles of clothes pegs to hold stuff that's being painted too, the engines each had a two peg jig to ensure they stayed off the ground while drying.

I got some really small ones from a trendy ideas shop type place for small bits and bobs.

If you'd like me to bring you some of that tape up to SMW let me know. As I said the fact it is "padded" gives it the advantage over normal double sided stuff

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Thanks for the offer Chris.  :thumbsup:

I'll have a look around my local £ stores and see what they have, and if there's no chance I'll get back to you.

Regards
Kit