Super Stretch DC8

Started by PR19_Kit, September 27, 2018, 05:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 04, 2018, 12:15:46 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on November 04, 2018, 10:49:21 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 25, 2018, 03:48:55 PM
I was going to paint the engines this evening, but...............

Looking through the RW pics of the -70s Series aircraft reminded me that the CFM-56 engines have these socking great strakes, two per engine, which are not supplied with the kit. Or indeed on any CFM-56 engine kits AFAIK.

The strakes are included with the Revell Airbus 321. Smaller than the ones you found though.

I suspect the size of the strakes has something to do with the rest of the airframe, and how well they produce the required vortices. The ones on that DC8-73 in the pic I posted are pretty huge, and agree with most other pics of them on DC8s that I could find.

Interestingly the CFM-56 fitted Boeing 707s seem to have much smaller and tri-angular strakes on their engines and the USAF's KC-135Rs don't have strakes at all!  :o

The Airfix E-4 AWAC has the strakes on the inner side of the inner engines, only they're quite long. You can just make them out in this photo.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Weirder and weirder...........  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well, it's done at last, or as done as I can manage anyway. The landing gear doors and stuff are attached, minus the forward nosewheel doors that keep falling into the gear bay. But a) you can't see them from above and b) I'm working on a strut thingie to keep it at the correct height later on.

It's meant to have landing light and nav light lenses but they're so small I can't see which way they're meant to fit so I've used PVA glue for the lenses instead.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

That's bloody marvelous Kit   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

nighthunter

Beautiful job on that, Kit. Must be an absolute bear to land though, with as shallow as she would need land.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kerick

That is amazing!!!
The paint on the wings is especially awesome! :wub: :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Glad you all like it, thanks.

Actually there's hardly any wing paint Mr. Kerick, it's Halford's Ford Stratos silver all over, with the details added with decals.  ;)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Beautiful. The last photos show a strange effect, the wings appear to have orange leading or trailing edges, must be the red cloth you posed it on.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on November 05, 2018, 12:23:44 AM

Beautiful. The last photos show a strange effect, the wings appear to have orange leading or trailing edges, must be the red cloth you posed it on.

It's my new camera, it does weird things to colours if I take the pics at too close a range for some reason. It's very handy, but not as consistent as my big Pentax DSLR.

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Really has worked out well Kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Lovely - I wonder if it has an extra tail wheel like the Il-62? Just in case...  ;)

scooter

So many superlatives being bandied about.   :thumbsup:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng