RAF Folland Gnat FG.3

Started by AeroplaneDriver, October 01, 2018, 10:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

With the two-week extension I can now hopefully fit in an entry to the RAF Centenary GB!

Something simple with a two week limit, so it's going to be Airfix's nice little 1/48 Gnat T.1 modified as a Gnat FG.3, most likely serving as a CAS/FAC aircraft in Vietnam c.1969.

It'll be mostly an OOB build with paint/decal whiffery, but I'm considering a few minor changes including Ajeet-style ADEN cannons in the intake sides and a small radar nose for a gunsight radar. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

Coming together nicely so far. 

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

This is shaping up to be a nice quick build.  Must admit though the fit is a bit disappointing in areas.  Not bad for Airfix, but definitely takes a lot more attention than the Sea Fury I just finished.

So far the whiffery has included adding ADEN cannons to the intakes, similar to the real fighter Gnats/Ajeets, and converting one of the wing tanks to a gun pod. 

This Gnat will be armed for a CAS mission in Vietnam, carrying a fuel tank on the right inboard, the fuel tank gun pod modification (M134 minion and SUU11 internals fitted inside the fuel tank).  Outer pylons will be carrying either Napalm tanks or Matra 155 rocket pods.  A few other mods are in the works including a ventral fuel tank.

Thinking the scheme/markings will be either the same SEAC scheme I painted my RAF Vietnam Hunter and Phantom years ago or maybe a two-tone green.  Markings will be the same RAF SEAC WW2 roundels I used for those two builds (all RAF aircraft in the Vietnam Theater were repainted with the two tone blue markings after an overeager USAF pilot shot down an RAF Lightning, mistaking the red roundel for the red star of a MiG-15). 

Progress so far...

Progress so far...

AeroplaneDriver

Major construction finished and Tamiya Gray Primer coat on...

Pics show the left fuel tank gun mod with the barrels and shroud not installed, the ADEN cannons on the intakes and the 60 gal ventral tank. 

Time to sleep on it and decide what the final scheme will look like. 

Devilfish

Great work!  I love fighter versions of the Gnat. It's a lovely kit, and so easy to modify.  I've done two, an "RAF aggressor", and a RN ZELL fighter.

AeroplaneDriver

I think I ran across your RN ZELL version while Googling some research materials.  VERY nice!!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

andys

The final scheme?

Grey like that?

It has to be "THE NAVY"?

:wacko:

comrade harps

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on October 02, 2018, 06:27:53 PM

Progress so far...

That modified tank could easily be transformed into a recce pod.
Whatever.

AeroplaneDriver

Yeah, but Recce pods don't spew Fire and Brimstone! 

AeroplaneDriver

Time for an update.  It's been a busy week, but a little at a time it's come together.  I'm not 100% happy with the paint.  I wasnt happy with the first color combo and didn't want to go with a real world RAF scheme, so I grudgingly settled on two greens.  The contrast does not show up well in the pic, but I promise it is two greens in a camo scheme.  Maybe weathering and a satin clear coat will help bring it out. 

The WHIF changes were fairly minimal...ADEN cannons in the intakes, radar nose (really just sanding the kit nose a little and painting it black), a ventral conformal fuel tank, and a M134 Minigun pod fitted in a modified wing fuel tank (extensive modification consisted of sawing off the nose of the tank to fit a SUU-11 pod barrel shroud.  It's a nice Tamiya one though so it does actually have the barrels inside.  Two additional outboard pylons will carry Matra rocket pods. 

Original plan was to have it sitting on the gear with open canopy, but I really like how it looks gear-up, so I  think most likely I'll be building a quick stand for an inflight build.  I really love how Airfix include gear doors for either on the ground or inflight builds.  This is my second new issue Airfix kit recently and the fit of the closed gear doors really is excellent.   I put them on because it is an easy way to mask the gear bays for painting, but really like the look of it "clean". 

Markings are for 73 Sqn, which in the real world disbanded as a Canberra squadron in 1969.  In this timeline they continued to operate Gnat FG.3s well into the 70s.

Anyhoo...hopefully finished tomorrow.  Weathering and a few more fiddly bits to go, plus the stand and painting up at least one pilot.  Better pics By Sunday for the GB close. 

Knightflyer

That is looking very good  ;D Can't believe I haven't yet built a 'new-mould' Airfix Gnat  :banghead:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

That colour scheme really suits her  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AeroplaneDriver

All done...full backtstory in the RAF 100 GB