DONE @p.3 +++ 1:72 "Gulf-Mirage" P-51D (mod) Unlimited Class Reno Racer, 70ies

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 13, 2018, 05:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The Griffon cam covers really suit the P-51 airframe, and the colour scheme's looking very promising.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Well, the markings come the same source as your JPS decals...  ;)

The Griffon cam covers from the Special Hobby kit work VERY well on the P-51 fuselage, their fit is almost perfect - and it is IMHO a much better option than swapping the whole nose section from another kit. Should be feasible, but this option here involves much less PSR work.

The livery is a fight, though, since I have to add black edges to the orange stripes. The lowered flaps and esp. the lower cowling make this ...hazardous. But progress is good, update coming soon!  ;D

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

PR19_Kit

Brilliant! I can just see that whizzing down the Mulsanne Straight at 500 mph and at 10 ft altitude.  ;D

Be a bit of a job getting round the hairpin though..........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

That looks a cracker dizzy   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Having been to Reno for the races one time, I can visualize that very well ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jalles

Wow, that's excellent! The Gulf livery really ties it together nicely  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Thank you, glad you like it, despite its simplicity! I am already curious about the "action pictures"...  ;)

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

perttime

It will be good!
I'm a little worried about the canopy shape, though. Looks a little lumpy in the unfinished photos, in my opinion.

Some of my favorite racer canopies look like a flattened fighter canopy. Rare Bear always had one like that, I think, and there's 1970s photos of Precious Metal, showing a lower than usual P-51 canopy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34076827@N00/5599187303

Dizzyfugu

Well, you have to take what the donor box offers... Many late Reno Racers have a frameless canopy from a Formula One Class racer "implanted", which are really tiny - these just offer enough space for the pilot's head with a helmet, and they are flat - almost like a reversed Mustang canopy. However, since there have been many wondrous cockpit cover solutions, I am fine with mine - it is, after all, a more streamlined alternative than the original canopy and windscreen. There's always "something to make better", but that's just the way it is.  ;)

BTW, finished the "Gulf-Mirage" yesterday evening, and it looks very good. Esp. the different nose section makes the aircraft look going fast, even on the ground.  :lol: