Churchill Upgrade

Started by Scotaidh, October 20, 2018, 02:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Nice one. :thumbsup:

For extra stowage, you could add baskets on the rear sides of the turret.

For more hull protection, you could add spaced armour panels to the sides, as long as there was a hinged section over the side door. They wouldn't add much protection against KE rounds, but they're very effective against HEAT rounds from Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks. You could do the same to the sides of the turret too actually, then have improvised stowage in the gap between the panels and the hull/turret (you KNOW they'd do it... ;) ).

I like the sloping glacis: it's basically what was done to the Cromwell/Comet-style hull to develop the Centurion. I'd like to see this done to a Comet actually: the hatches would need some careful thinking about though...

Quote from: Scotaidh on November 09, 2018, 04:06:58 AM
Well, the Carpet Monster has eaten three sets of road wheels and a drive sprocket.  I have searched until my legs cramped, and given it up.  I've contacted Hornby to see if they can help me, but that was a week ago and no - other than automated - response.  I guess I'm down to scratching replacements, so I'm looking at my small-diameter tubing.

Back in the days when I did 1/76th/72nd wargaming, newbies would always ask "why doesn't the British player use Churchills given their heavy armour?" This is the reason. Everybody had one, and only one, 80% Churchill in their scrap box vainly waiting for the lost wheels to magically re-appear. They never did... :banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

There are some excellent original drawings of the bare Churchill hull on this thread, which really help you visualize what's going on with it:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/176933-rl-churchill-cromwell-armour-plan/
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Scotaidh

Quote from: Weaver on December 02, 2018, 05:01:22 AM
There are some excellent original drawings of the bare Churchill hull on this thread, which really help you visualize what's going on with it:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/176933-rl-churchill-cromwell-armour-plan/

Thanks - I'll have a look.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on December 02, 2018, 04:51:48 AM

I like the sloping glacis: it's basically what was done to the Cromwell/Comet-style hull to develop the Centurion.

Me to  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 02, 2018, 07:12:04 AM
Quote from: Weaver on December 02, 2018, 04:51:48 AM

I like the sloping glacis: it's basically what was done to the Cromwell/Comet-style hull to develop the Centurion.

Me to  :thumbsup:

Looking at the cross-sections of the Churchill in that link, you could make the top and bottoms of the pannier sloped with a rounded outside face. Could be cast as one piece with the outer rounded part thicker than the top and bottom sides. The runners for the tracks wouldn't be that hard to mount with different length legs to where they attach to the 'cast' part.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Scotaidh

Much more PSR under my belt, and plenty still to come.

Churchill Upgrade_028
Angled plates added.  As I said, lots more PSR in store!  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

AA Tank turret ? Could be one.

I'm enjoying watching this build, keep up the updates  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

I'm attempting to add armor to the sides of the hull ... Where's Hercules when you want him?

Churchill Upgrade_032
An attempt to upgrade the vehicle's hull side armor ... Not brilliant, but I'm not sure what else I can do ...

Churchill Upgrade_033
The problem is that the top track-covers need to remain removable to service the tracks. Also, the crew hatches on each side were a primary means of getting in and out.  Then there's the air filters on the sides of the engine compartment ...  :-\  What's a mother to do? 

Churchill Upgrade_035
For some reason, I still really like the look of the original cannon, even though I did say I wanted to put in a 17pdr ... I think I need a trip to my LHS for some inspiration - and tubing.  ;)

kitnut617

In that link Harold (Weaver) posted, you can see where you could attach the additional armour. Here's a quick sketch I did after I tried to explain how I would modify the Churchill side armour to something with sloping sides. The top sketch is how the Churchill armour was (according to the link) so your pieces would be better attached to the top and bottom corners of the pannier part.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Turret's got the look of a larger Crusader turret in some ways

Scotaidh

Churchill Upgrade_036
     I decided to go a different way with the side armor. I like the look of this much better. Ditto the improved air intakes/filter units. ;) Still working on how to do the side-tank crew hatches.

Churchill Upgrade_038
     New cannon installed, with thermal sleeve and fume extractor

Churchill Upgrade_039
     The loader's hatch, was, as you all know, some raised lines on the turret - now scrubbed off. The new loader's hatch is made of the driver's hatch pieces - I'm boxing it in with small L-beam pieces, cut to fit in-situ, which is why it's not done yet - glue needs to dry. Also, I've marked on the skirt where the new crew entry hatches will be ... Not entirely happy with this, will keep exploring options to make it look better. Still to come, the driver's hatch, sighting systems, etc.

NARSES2

Starting to look the business  :thumbsup:

Very modern looking turret

Weaver

Noticed in the shops that there's a Haynes 'Manual' on the Churchill with lots of good detail photos and diagrams.

It's looking good. I'm tempted to suggest that there's so little Churchill left that it's not really a Churchill any more, but then when you look at some other highly modified tanks, like the various radical M-60 upgrades and the South African Olifants (Centurion) you realise that that's not totally unrealistic. Some countries find that they can build or buy in almost all the components to upgrade a tank, but if they havn't got a heavy steel industry then re-using an old hull is still an attractive (or the only) option.

- Indiana Jones

tigercat

In some ways it reminds me of what the Germans did in the Ardennes to make Panthers look like Tank Destroyers.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Weaver on December 16, 2018, 07:47:17 AM
Noticed in the shops that there's a Haynes 'Manual' on the Churchill with lots of good detail photos and diagrams.

It's looking good. I'm tempted to suggest that there's so little Churchill left that it's not really a Churchill any more, but then when you look at some other highly modified tanks, like the various radical M-60 upgrades and the South African Olifants (Centurion) you realise that that's not totally unrealistic. Some countries find that they can build or buy in almost all the components to upgrade a tank, but if they havn't got a heavy steel industry then re-using an old hull is still an attractive (or the only) option.

Seen a Magach lately?  :)  The Oliphant is my inspiration for this build.  I mean - the only tank in the world to feature a built-in bath-tub!  How could you go wrong?  :)  I will admit that the turret rather got away from me - but I don't want to slag it and start over, although I probabaly should. I really don't want to buy another model just for the turret, either.

My intention here is the updating a museum piece into a (more) modern piece of kit.  We'll call it the "Churchill Mk. MMXX Project" or something ... ;)   I work in a shipyard, and having seen what some of those guys can do with a gas torch - it's almost beyond belief.  I hear the phrase "It's only metal" all the time ...

So this Churchill will feature an up-rated power pack & transmission but keep the general 'sponson-hull' layout and track system.  The armament has been updated - I mean, where would one even find parts for a Besa MG anymore?  Collectors, yeah - might have as many as 5 complete weapons and a few parts, but then what?  Just replace it with a Browning Ma Deuce or a minigun and call it good - 'specially since we now have stowage for a minigun's worth of ammo.  ;)    Also, since everyone is apparently 'going soviet' with a smooth-bore main gun - well, if I do the same then at least parts and ammo are available. much as it corrodes my soul to not have rifling. 

Thanks for your comments - I do appreciate them, even if it seems as if I'm ignoring them.  (I'm really not.)