Churchill Upgrade

Started by Scotaidh, October 20, 2018, 02:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Well, apart from not using the hull sides as part of the armour, you've gone for my suggested side structure, so I'm happy. ;D ;)

What size gun have you gone for, again? The 105mm L7 (& variants) are rifled; the L30 120mm rifle has replaced the smooth-bore L11A5 on British tanks; Cockerill Mk.III 90mm Low Pressure weapon is also rifled.

I'd highly recommend not going for the L30, unless you want to see your tank rolling away from the battle if it fires to its flank. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 17, 2018, 02:34:03 AM
What size gun have you gone for, again? The 105mm L7 (& variants) are rifled; the L30 120mm rifle has replaced the smooth-bore L11A5 on British tanks; Cockerill Mk.III 90mm Low Pressure weapon is also rifled.

The L11 was rifled. The L30 is basically just an update on it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Weaver on December 17, 2018, 02:41:39 AM

The L11 was rifled. The L30 is basically just an update on it.

My apologies, I mis-read my source material. :banghead:

Scotaidh

Well, apart from not using the hull sides as part of the armour, you've gone for my suggested side structure, so I'm happy. ;D ;)

I'd highly recommend not going for the L30, unless you want to see your tank rolling away from the battle if it fires to its flank. ;)

Dang it, you lot are making me do research!  ;)  My smooth-bore remark was  aimed at how much - to me, at least - the resultant cannon on my Churchill Mk. MMCC looks like the cannon on the Leopard Mk VI - short and thick. 

I personally despise smooth-bores as I regard it as a 'quick, cheap, & nasty' solution to gunnery, as well as a technological step backwards - what's next, re-issue of the Brown Bess musket? 

Researching British Tank Guns of WWII, I came across the OQF 77mm Gun Mk. II.  As an upgrade of the 17pdr used in the Firefly Shermans, I like that, and it seemed the solution to your question.  However, as it didn't come with either the fume extractor or the thermal sleeve, and the L7 did, for which (according to this site <http://www.pof.gov.pk/catalouge/Anti_Tank_Ammo.pdf>) the HE shell = 54lbs (and the APFSDS = 46lbs). 

Long story short, I guess I'm going with the L7.  :) 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Scotaidh

Churchill Upgrade_040
Side-hull escape hatches in place and driver's hatch installed.

Churchill Upgrade_041
I had to make a cut into the new glacis plate to accomodate the driver's hatch.

Churchill Upgrade_043
Side hatch detail

Churchill Upgrade_044
I kept the old exhaust - I didn't really have a better idea.

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Wow.  I'd be hard pushed to tell what you started with if I didn't know.

Fabulous.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

It's certainly beginning to look the business  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on December 22, 2018, 01:36:54 AM
Wow.  I'd be hard pushed to tell what you started with if I didn't know.

Fabulous.

:thumbsup:

Weaver made a similar comment a while ago ... and it's starting to bother me.  Your comments have led me to look at it with fresh eyes, so to speak, and I'm not happy with it.   This model has gone out of control - really, just about the only thing left of an actual Churchill is the tracks, which was not my intent when I started.   :angry:

So.

I'll finish this one, but I think I have it to do over so it really is a Churchill with slanted armor. 

Scotaidh

Quote from: nighthunter on December 22, 2018, 05:21:42 AM
It's so SciFi looking

Thanks, but yes - you're right.  It might as well be a hover tank armed with a rail gun, at this point - or (as those who read sci-fi armor stories will know) a "power gun".

Old Wombat

Your real problem is that it's almost impossible to upgrade the Churchill without redesigning it from the ground up as something which isn't a Churchill.

Scotaidh

Mr. Senior Marsupial, I do believe you are, at least partially, correct. 

I was digging in my SSR, looking for greeblies for the Churchill, and I found my Dragon Challenger Mk II (1/72). That kit included some extra parts, which will make their appearance in due course.  Just for fun, before re-stocking the Challenger, I taped the turret together and sat it on the upper hull.

Churchill Upgrade_046
Side-by-each comparison: Churchill Mk. MMCC (green) to Challenger Mk II (grey) ;) ...

Churchill Upgrade_047
... and bow-on comparison

Somehow I don't thing the Challenger turret is all that much more accommodating to its crew than was the Churchill's ...

NARSES2

To my eye the hull is still recognisable as that of a Churchill's it's the turret that looks as though it's from a different era. Maybe a Crusader turret that's been widened a tad and had the rivets removed would suit it ? I say Crusader because it's already angled to some degree.

Meanwhile that "Churchill" turret might look good on a Centurion hull as an updated tank for modern armies that can't quite afford the latest gear ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

I'm not into armour these days so I have limited knowledge of the subject, but isn't the Conqueror the descendant of the Churchill 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike