Close-up photos of old Star Wars models

Started by Weaver, October 22, 2018, 05:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Wow.

Good to see.
Some are awesome (Death Star 2), some are surprisingly crude and some could do with a bit more PSR.
Some recognisable parts in odd places.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

If there's one thing I've always preferred about the Skywalker saga is the level of realism that physical models brought to the first trilogy that couldn't be duplicated in either follow ons.  Particularly in the way light and shadow play across the surfaces.  No amount of computing power can replace that.

And this from a guy who renders :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

- Indiana Jones

zenrat

I think so.  I won't say any more so others can enjoy looking.
I recognised what it was, just not which ship (not being up to date with my reading on the recognition and identification of Royal Naval capital ships from below).

Fred

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on October 24, 2018, 03:30:14 AM
I think so.  I won't say any more so others can enjoy looking.
I recognised what it was, just not which ship (not being up to date with my reading on the recognition and identification of Royal Naval capital ships from below).

I wouldn't have identified it either, but for the fact that Ark Royal had a particularly distinctive feature of it's hull.

- Indiana Jones

Nick

They had a model of the Millennium Falcon in 1/72 at the London Show last year. Chris and I were spotting all the different tank parts (Airfix Stug and Cromwell) and varied aircraft and ship pieces. Very well done.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 04, 2018, 12:07:44 PM
How do they know it was 1/72?  ;D

Well they know what size the 'real' one is supposed to be so they divide by 72...

Mind you, finding out what size the 'real' version of any sci-fi ship is can be fraught with uncertainty since sources frequently differ and internal sets often don't match up to external models.

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on November 04, 2018, 12:16:16 PM

Mind you, finding out what size the 'real' version of any sci-fi ship is can be fraught with uncertainty since sources frequently differ and internal sets often don't match up to external models.

Exactly..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 04, 2018, 12:17:33 PM
Quote from: Weaver on November 04, 2018, 12:16:16 PM

Exactly..............

In the case of the Millenium Falcon, a full-size exterior/interior set was built at Pinewood and it's dimensions are known, so that's kinda definitive whatever you can or can't extract from special effects shots of models. The problems come when the original data is lost or unavailable and you end up comparing secondary sources and trying to do analysis by scaling from known features, or even from actors whose height is known. The classic example is the three highly-detailed and painstaking analyses of the Space 1999 Eagle which all came out with wildly different basic dimensions.

it's rather easier these days since the ships are designed in CAD/CAM systems which produce dimensions anyway whether the production designers care or not. Understanding movie studios now often provide original CAD/CAM files to model companies, at least the ones with licences...

- Indiana Jones