F-20 and X-29 build

Started by kerick, October 25, 2018, 09:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

]I've started a double build. An F-20 and an X-29, both from Hasegawa in 1:72 scale. Both are really nice kits just right for easy build while I recover from hip replacement surgery. I'm planning to have them both in service paint schemes, perhaps as  :uuu:foreign sales to countries that couldn't afford F-16s. I'll see what the old decal box has in it. The F-20 will be the F-16 three tone gray but I'm considering an aggressor scheme from Topgun or Fighter Weapons School. I'll see what else the muse might bring me.
Pics will follow shortly as I'm unable to climb the stairs to get to the big computer yet. I'm only using my phone for now.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

AeroplaneDriver

It's a shame the F-20 never was put into production.  So much potential.  I'll be watching this build with interest!   Speedy recovery!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

Best aircraft to never see production in my opinion. I heard the Soviets were scared of the thought of hundreds of F-20s being produced and were shocked when it was finally cancelled.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Lots of in-service whif potential for the F-20 - you can basically put markings of any country that today operates the F-16 onto it (they did a worldwide sales tour for the F-20), and it would be quite plausible. One of my faves is Thailand, with one of the Aggressor schemes that were used by the Thai F-5s, e. g. something like this:

zenrat

I've got both of these in my stash.  I can't wait to see how they turn out.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

Both are great kits so far. Basic assembly is done and no PSR required. My problem is what kind of weapons load out to put on them. I have a large selection to choose from so tough part is narrowing it down and making a choice. Same thing with the decals. I was just thinking that if I had the tip tanks off of a T-38 they would look wild on the X-29.
Tophe the Wise

CammNut

I took a shortcut and combined the two to create the Northrop/Grumman F-20/29:

What was most impressive was how seamlessly the forward fuselage of Hasegawa's F-20 fitted its X-29

And my sincere apologies for photo-bombing your post!

Tophe

Very interesting first one! And I hope the second will be nice also, and hopefully different somehow ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

CammNut, your build looks awesome! Nice paint scheme. You can drop in a pic anytime.
Thanks Tophe, I hope my builds turn out well. Too many choices to make for weapons and paint.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Does anyone know if I can overspray Testors gloss over acrylic paint? I'm thinking probably not.
Tophe the Wise

nighthunter

Quote from: kerick on October 27, 2018, 11:49:23 AM
CammNut, your build looks awesome! Nice paint scheme. You can drop in a pic anytime.
Thanks Tophe, I hope my builds turn out well. Too many choices to make for weapons and paint.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.
Does anyone know if I can overspray Testors gloss over acrylic paint? I'm thinking probably not.
Testors makes an acrylic gloss, for use in airbrushes, but I use clear rattlecan flat paint on my miniatures with acrylic paint, and haven't had a problem.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

kerick

Here's the pics I promised.

The obligatory sprue shot.

Basic assembly.

Basic assembly of the X-29.

I dropped the flaps at the rear of the strakes.

Nose to nose. I have since removed the fins on the nose of the X-29.

Comparison of the undersides.

I've since added weapons pylons to each. The F-20 will be loaded for bear with Mavericks and mk 82s while the X/F-29 will have a Sidewinder, ACMI pod and gas bags. I'm going with an aggressor paint scheme on the X/F-29.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Here's the decals I'm searching through to find something to use for markings. Most of them are old as the hills so that may make things more difficult when I try to use them. We shall see.

Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Good basis for mixing butchery :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

I've been applying some paint to the F-20. It's getting the F-16 three tone grey scheme. The acrylics are working out pretty good. I've never used them before so it's taking a little getting used too. A little Future and then the decals. The X-29 will get an aggressor scheme but which one?
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Quote from: kerick on November 09, 2018, 09:37:58 PM
I've been applying some paint to the F-20. It's getting the F-16 three tone grey scheme. The acrylics are working out pretty good. I've never used them before so it's taking a little getting used too. A little Future and then the decals. The X-29 will get an aggressor scheme but which one?

I've always liked my own paint schemes - egotistical like that, I am, I guess.  :)  Dark brown leopard spots over desert tan on a Tomahawk; and my own 'cool' grey & blue schemes. 

Sorry about the blur. This is my own concept of camouflage, based on what I think looks cool. :) I make no apologies for my personal taste. :D

I think of it as blue-based, but really only the top, dark layer is blue - Non-specular Sea Blue, actually. That's what it was called on the Humbrol tin, sadly now empty. I think it's the blue used on USN aircraft in WWII.

Better results with the flash on. Forgive the background - it's the cellar wall.

So - do your own Whif paint scheme for a Whif aggressor.  :) 

If you want, you could make it a trials aircraft - when they were trying to sell the Kestrel, they made a tri-national squadron to test it out; likewise, the MRCA, IIRC, had four-part roundels on it when they were trying to flog it to everyone, and it had odd colouration, too. 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."