Drag Cab AKA Stoopid Taxi: Finished pics page 4.

Started by zenrat, October 30, 2018, 11:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

For my Racing GB "big job" I shall be taking a Revell London Taxi (which looks suspiciously like a reboxed Japanese kit) and building a dragster with it.
London Taxi 31-10-18 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
London Taxi 31-10-18 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, you could get a BIG engine in the back too.............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes.  If only there was somewhere I could get a resin ZF transaxle...

;D
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 31, 2018, 12:21:57 AM

Yes.  If only there was somewhere I could get a resin ZF transaxle...

;D

There's a good chance that you're the ONLY person on who knows what a ZF transaxle looks like, so you could use any old lump of styrene or resin, greeble it up a bit, and then SAY it's a ZF transaxle........  ;D ;)

I know what a ZF gearbox looks like, in fact I've got one (RW), but not a transaxle BTW.

And I've got a Getrag transaxle too, but it's a flimsy looking thing, not suited to OODLES of bhp.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

We've only got your word for that Fred, you could have PhotoShopped that advert..........  ;) ;)

Actually it does look remarkably like my ZF gearbox, I wonder if they have a 'house style' to the ribbing etc.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I have begun this build by carrying out the traditional task which (in my mind anyway) marks a car kit as started - I have glued the engine halves together.
The engine in this case is a 392 Hemi taken from an AMT '53 Studebaker.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Ahah, Old School then?  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yep.  Cubic inches and forced induction.
Fred

McColm

Are you going to chop the roof to lower it?
I have the same Revell kit, I started a Rat-Rod by deleting the rear passenger compartment and moving the front windscreen back to create a longer engine bay. I filled in the front door sills.
Thin tyres at the front and wide tyres at the back. I think I can drop the body but I lost my mojo on this build.

zenrat

No.  It's going to have a completely stock roof.  I want it to look, at first glance, like an ordinary taxi.
I may move the rear wheel arches forwards A/FX style.

Today the engine gained it's sump, heads and valley cover.

Fred

zenrat

A change in chassis choice.  I had a rummage in my Hot Rod parts box and found a chassis I think is from an AMT Ala Kart.  It's probably vaguely based on a late twenties Ford model T chassis.  Perfect.
I've chopped it about a bit and built some engine mounts.  As you can see i've got a fair bit of engine setback.
Drag Cab WIP 11-11-18 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

PR19_Kit

A fair bit? It's almost rear engined!  :o

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fifties/Sixties dragster technology.  Having more weight towards the rear gave extra traction on launch.  The tyres of the day needed all the help they could get.
Fred

PR19_Kit

Indeed so.  :thumbsup:

The engine on my drag racing Imp was so far to the rear that it was almost outside the car.  ;D

And the Mini drivers wondered why we ALWAYS out-dragged them at the start!  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit