Replacing the Euro-Typhoon

Started by McColm, November 01, 2018, 09:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

My first thought was to use the Northrop Grumman YF-23 purely as a whiff but the Japanese are thinking of replacing their F-15J's but not with the F-35 which they have ordered.
As they couldn't buy the F-22 the
YF-23 upgrade proposal pack .
Northrop Grumman have been busy flight testing their YF-23's in a variety of roles and engine trials, which makes sense to a would be customer as they save money in the development costs.
Whether a two seater  variant will be built or any trials will be carried out on an aircraft carrier remains to be seen but as a whiff why not.

There are several 1/72 Black Widow II kits available ranging from the prototype to the preproduction from; Dragon, Italeri , Revell, Tamiya and Testors.

It might be possible for the two seater version to be a side-by-side rather than the tandem arrangement using a modified Matchbox Hunter T7/9 kit.

Caveman

Would an Su 34 match the f23's aesthetic more closely? I'm not sure if it scales properly.
secretprojects forum migrant

McColm

I have made my views quite clear when the opportunity of the purchase of the Su-27 was offered due to the delay with the EuroFighter.
okay the RAF would have got the export version but even so, with western electronics and engines the possibilities for development for both two seater and side-by-side two seater. No doubt a Naval and Maritime attack versions.
Even a licence to build their own, leading to the Su-57, but this is all circumstantial.
I still think the British missed an opportunity in the development of the Yak-141. Even if the two lifting engines were deleted, there's a fighter or ground attack in the design, another possibility was the Mig-1.44 . I might be wrong but the Chinese have incorporated some of the design features in their own aircraft.