1/24 Tamiya Calibra DTM

Started by sykotik, November 09, 2018, 11:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

hi guys

Here's another side project I have just finished - Tamiya's Opal Calibra DTM. Heavily inspired by the Zakspeed version (as well as Need For Speed cars), I went for a matte black colour. I'm not normally a "Matte Black car" kinda guy, but I do think it looks the part on this machine. I build this once before when I was in my very early twenties in red after seeing one like it in London but I had all the skills of a novice and it looked terrible

I modified the rear diffuser and and paddle shifters - stolen from a Aventador PE Set - to the wheel (no manual box for me)

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Anyway, enough talking, time for pics:

I would LOVE to get the Revell BMW M3 DTM kit to do the same but it's rarer than rocking horse pooh. Maybe one day I'll find one or they'll re-release it (hopeful but unlikely)

Well, that's all I have. Back to the Star Destroyer this weekend and I'll try to finish the bridge section

Thanks for looking

Si

zenrat

Nasty.  It looks very menacing.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Nice looking build, but I wish someone would do a conversion kit to make a stock Calibra from it.

I ran one for 2.5 yrs (H210WTV) and I'd love to do a model of it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sykotik

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 10, 2018, 11:33:45 AM
Nice looking build, but I wish someone would do a conversion kit to make a stock Calibra from it.

I always thought about getting one of the 4x4 Turbo versions. I've seen a few in Aus but I don't know their condition, and given their age now, I'd be a bit reluctant to buy one. I have no idea if you can still even get parts for them anymore.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sykotik on November 10, 2018, 07:23:28 PM

I always thought about getting one of the 4x4 Turbo versions. I've seen a few in Aus but I don't know their condition, and given their age now, I'd be a bit reluctant to buy one. I have no idea if you can still even get parts for them anymore.

There's a very active owners club for the Calibra here in the UK (called Club Calibra.....) and they have some good spares contacts. The V6 engine version is the more balanced of the breed, but they made very few V6 4WDs, and only to special order IIRC.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

A former bosses wife had a Holden Calibra.  I used to drive her daughter to work in it.
All I can remember is that the indicators were on the wrong side.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on November 11, 2018, 01:14:42 AM
A former bosses wife had a Holden Calibra.  I used to drive her daughter to work in it.
All I can remember is that the indicators were on the wrong side.

An issue with most Euro cars sold in Australia, they change over the column for right-hand drive but leave the switch levers as built for Europe, all other manufacturers swap them over (if necessary).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sykotik

LOL! I remember that when I first drove in the UK back in the 90's. I kept indicating with the window wipers! I got a lot of dirty looks and honks from disgruntled drivers as a result.  ;D

zenrat

With Holdens and Australian Fords different models in the same range would have the controls on different sides depending on where the car was designed.

Which side were the indicators on British built cars?  Can anyone remember that long ago...  ;D

Fred

PR19_Kit

Nowadays British indicator stalks on the left of the column and have been for some years now.

I think the last car I had with right hand indicator stalks was a Toyota Space Cruiser back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

I know how you feel! I'd love a stock Calibra kit.  I had a 2.5 V6 manual (rare old beasty)