1/48 Sea Beau

Started by Old Wombat, November 10, 2018, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

If someone ain't nommed that for a whiffy by time I get back, I will.  :mellow: :mellow:

Expos......  Do y'all have two of them a year down there or something? I swear y'all just had one back in ... like... March or April.  Maybe I'm dreaming things.
-Sprues McDuck-

andrewj

That just looks so right, absolutely brilliant.

Andrew

zenrat

Melbourne has the Australian Model Expo in June.  Adelaide has the South Australian Model Expo in October.
There are also other events in the less important states.
;)
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Thank you all, gentlemen! :smiley:

In all honesty I never expected it to win &, after trying my hand at judging on Saturday night, I now know exactly why it didn't (& never will) win any prizes.

That doesn't worry me, though, as I built it to make me happy - which it did & is (especially hearing "experten" debating about whether or not the Beaufighter had ever been built with folding wings). ;D

Note: There will be a What If... category next year, as I have pledged to sponsor it (financially - my name will go on another category, Medium Scale Multi Prop's I think they said).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 13, 2019, 02:01:50 AM
...Note: There will be a What If... category next year, as I have pledged to sponsor it (financially - my name will go on another category, Medium Scale Multi Prop's I think they said).

Good job.   :thumbsup:
I hope I can get over so I can enter something.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

The Beau is tremendous, well done mate   :bow:

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 13, 2019, 02:01:50 AM

Note: There will be a What If... category next year, as I have pledged to sponsor it (financially - my name will go on another category, Medium Scale Multi Prop's I think they said).

So your mission was successful Mr Bond ?  ;) ;D :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2019, 06:33:28 AM
So your mission was successful Mr Bond ?  ;) ;D :thumbsup:

Very much so! :wacko:

Quote from: zenrat on October 13, 2019, 03:30:45 AM
Good job.   :thumbsup:
I hope I can get over so I can enter something.

Thanks! So do I, otherwise it could be a one-man (two if rickshaw shows up) show. :-\

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2019, 07:41:44 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on October 12, 2019, 06:04:11 AM
And I can tell you that none of my 3 builds placed. :rolleyes:
Just proves none of the other judges know anything..............

No, it's just in a catch-all category for whatever doesn't fit elsewhere, so there's no real base to work from - I was competing with dinosaurs, figures, a grader, a cockpit & an exquisitely build Gnome-Le Rhône (I think) engine (which came in 1st place).

Anyway, thanks for all the positive vibes, guys! :thumbsup: :bow:

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on October 13, 2019, 01:46:09 AM
Melbourne has the Australian Model Expo in June.  Adelaide has the South Australian Model Expo in October.
There are also other events in the less important states.
;)

Ha!  OK. I'm not losing my mind after all. Some day I'm going to mail someone a model to enter in one of these as it's pretty obvious I'm never going to be able to make it to one of these things; they may as well all be on Saturn for how much play we get in Oklahoma. We can can't even get a flippin checkers match to come here.  :rolleyes:
-Sprues McDuck-

philp

Nats is in San Marcos, TX next year and they do shows in Arlington all the time as well as Dallas.  Just a hop, skip and jump for you.
Heck, I will be driving from SLC next year.  Going to be a good show.

By the way, love the Beau.  Came out really nice in those markings.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

TheChronicOne

Don't I wish! That would be about a 20 hour commute under ideal conditions, not accounting for time spent at the show and the $400-500 spent on fuel, food, and lodging and multiple days spent off work. Then of course it would be nice to have a little spending money whilst there and a cushion of emergency money if I break down 500 miles from home. If I decide to spend more than a single day there, add in more money. I May as well plan a trip to Mars.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

Oklahoma, where the wind goes whistling through your brain!  :wacko: ;D

I'll get my coat...
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

philp

Think I figured it as about 22 hours driving for me.  Got to stop at Four Corners and then go through Roswell.  Probably stop twice and drive the last couple hours in on Wednesday to get there when it opens.  Head back Sunday morning.  Probably will need 6-7 days off and the credit card will be a bit bruised when I get home but that is where the fun is.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

TheChronicOne

haha!!  Garth Brooks, from Oklahoma.....  had a song "Shameless" and my brother used to make fun of it singing "Brainless!!"  You ain't a BSin' though, Oklahoma is FULL of brain-dead morons.  ;D

Phil, you'll be driving through some beautiful country!

My problem is three-fold. I'm not adverse to taking long trips and stuff but my situation right now wouldn't tolerate it. I have a work situation where I can't take off from it more than two days MAX. My vehicle... all I have after the engine went in my little car is my work truck and I don't trust it to drive anywhere outside of the city. There's a weird front end alignment issue that requires the more "intensive" front end alignment. Ridiculous, I agree, but it's what it is. Thing is, as a result of the first problem, I haven't found time to do this because.... well, I need that damn thing. Lastly, I'm a caretake for my mother who is nearing 90 years old and she has no one else other than me to help her with things day to day and to be honest, I want to be around all the time as she has a history of falling over and not being able to get back up. (yes, just like the damn hoveround commercials.)  ;D  The stereotype is true.  :angel:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Thanks, Phil!  :bow:

Carry on, gentlemen! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Posting models to a show could be a possibility.
I once posted a completed car build to Florida, had it entered in a show and then had it posted back to me.
We could do similar if we got our collective acts together.  Obviously some models are more conducive to being boxed up and posted than others (and the wise man's saying applies - if you can't drop kick it down a flight of stairs than you haven't packed it properly).
If I find I am able to make it over to the Adelaide expo next year then I am willing to take delivery of a number of international models to take with me.
We would just need to start getting organised well ahead of time.
Fred