1/48 Sea Beau

Started by Old Wombat, November 10, 2018, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 16, 2018, 01:01:47 PM

I was wondering if you might have considered a Z-fold like a Gannet wing?

Or even an EVERYthing fold, like the Barracuda?  :o ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2018, 04:25:33 PM

How did "Winkle" Browne describe it?  Ah, yes, "the Ironmonger's paradise".  Overall, a neat fold but it was a terrible effort with the undercarriage and the flaps apparently.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

I've got an etched brass and white metal conversion kit to do a 'folded' Barracuda, and I've even got the Barracuda to go with it, but I'm not sure that I have the spare year that it'd probably take to actually DO it!  :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Doable but no need, the Z-fold was as much to stop the wings smacking into each other as it was to reduce height. With the over-wing fold the Beau's span is not much wider than the tail unit & the wings barely reach the fuselage.

Kit, I am many things but a masochist is not amongst them.

The Sea Beau may not have folded up as small as the Barracuda but it gave the ground crew far fewer nightmares.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Air21

Or a sweep back like a C-2 or E-2... One benefit is it keeps all the mass low and I suppose easier to manipulate into place with some special tool if you really had to, like a jack on wheels.

kitnut617

An a good example of 'why' it had to fold up that way, it barely fits on the elevator --  :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I've always thought the Barracuda could have used a 'twist-and-fold' system like the Grummans did. With that high tailplane the wing tips would have fitted nicely underneath.

Hmmm, there's a thought, build a stock Barracuda with an RW colour scheme and do it with such a wing fold. Perhaps only the die hard FAA fans would notice what was Whiffish about it, the normal Barracuca fold being SO outrageous?

Regards
Kit

AS.12

Fairey seem to have been stuck in a 1930s mindset when it came to the Fulmar and Barra, both folded aft on vertical hinges like the biplanes but then they had to pile-on all sorts of complications to make it work with monoplanes. 

Grumman had a bit more of an innovative mindset, hence the oblique fold.  But Fairey got themselves sorted-out for the Firefly and Spearfish at least, I think the Barra must have been such a nightmare that they were shocked into changing.

British types with an oblique fold, like the Firefly, rotated the wing leading edge up during folding whereas the Grummans rotated it down.  I don't know why, but the Grumman system would seem to protect the control surfaces better since they ended-up elevated away from the deck

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AS.12 on November 18, 2018, 12:50:31 PM

British types with an oblique fold, like the Firefly, rotated the wing leading edge up during folding whereas the Grummans rotated it down.  I don't know why, but the Grumman system would seem to protect the control surfaces better since they ended-up elevated away from the deck

Just BECAUSE we're British old boy!  ;D ;)

The Barracuda would have had to use a LE up type fold as they could then use similar clamps to connect to the tailplane, as it did with the 'fold everything' version. I can't see those clamps working when braced from the ailerons.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 18, 2018, 07:27:26 AM

An a good example of 'why' it had to fold up that way, it barely fits on the elevator --  :o

Did they have written instructions?

Take flap A and fold over Wing B whilst releasing latch C.  Pull and lift Wing B while simultaneously fitting catch D into locking flange E and opening access panel F in order to tuck Flap B over itself.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

That's SERIOUSLY good modelling!  :thumbsup:

Does the Special Hobby kit come with the wing already cut up like that? The old FROG kit has them in two pieces, top and bottom!

And he'd have had to work purely off pics, there being no complete Barracuda left anywhere in the world, but the Yeovilton Museum guys are doing their best to re-build one.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2018, 05:02:23 PM
That's SERIOUSLY good modelling!  :thumbsup:

Does the Special Hobby kit come with the wing already cut up like that? The old FROG kit has them in two pieces, top and bottom!

And he'd have had to work purely off pics, there being no complete Barracuda left anywhere in the world, but the Yeovilton Museum guys are doing their best to re-build one.

I've seen a wing fold conversion somewhere on the internet, lot of PE and stuff. Can't remember who produced it ---  :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 18, 2018, 07:27:26 AM

Absolutely there's hardly any room at all. It almost needs the rear fuselage to fold forward  :o

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2018, 05:02:23 PM

The SH kit's wing is quite simple. Just upper and bottom halves, plus the separate dive brakes/flaps. So 6 parts in total, quite simple in comparison to what it could have been  ;) If you want to fold them you would have a fair bit of cutting to do
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 19, 2018, 06:16:21 AM

The SH kit's wing is quite simple. Just upper and bottom halves, plus the separate dive brakes/flaps. So 6 parts in total, quite simple in comparison to what it could have been  ;) If you want to fold them you would have a fair bit of cutting to do

The link that Kerick posted shows how the modeller sawed it up, and you're dead right, there IS a fair bit to do then!  :o

I reckon my idea of a Whiffed fold would be easier, I think I'll search out my ancient FROG kit.........  ;D

Regards
Kit