1/48 Sea Beau

Started by Old Wombat, November 10, 2018, 12:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Thanks, Andrew! :thumbsup:

She's on her feet, now, & decals are all on (what few there were).

Currently working on the prop's & tail-hook but that's going to stop soon, as it's after 0230hrs here & I need to go to bed.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

Them hinge work mighty fancy!!!  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 09, 2019, 10:11:04 AM
Them hinge work mighty fancy!!!  :thumbsup:

And has taken up 90% of my time on this build! :o

Just running Testors' Dullcote through my airbrush for the first time &, I must say, I'm impressed! :thumbsup:

Always knew it was good from the rattle can but it's just as good with my poor airbrushing technique, much better than the Tamiya rattle cans I've been using, both for coverage & not reacting with the paints it's covering.

If you can get it, I'd recommend using it!

Of course, it may just be that I'm half-stoned from the fumes but, well, that could be a bonus, too. ;)

Old Wombat

Well, unless a miracle happens, this is shelved for the duration or for all time.

What happened? Well, one of my usual end of build tricks - after removing all the tape & liquid mast from the clear bits, I test fitted the parts back on the model, then flipped the model over to do some work on a small fix-up job & "tink" something hit something. I'd removed the gunners canopy & the props, they were on the bench, but the pilots canopy is AWOL. I've all but torn the room apart (I've removed & checked the boxes & sweep the floor & under the bench supports), checked my clothing from last night, cleaned up the work bench ... Nothing!

I'm afraid the vinyl monster may have had it for a midnight snack. :banghead:

So, as it stands, if I find the canopy, I'll finish it, if I don't, it's spare parts sometime in the future. :-\

To say I'm f___ed off doesn't even come close to describing how I feel right now.

Old Wombat

OK, f___cked-off-plus has been replaced by "I'll be buggered if this is going to beat me!" :angry:

I'm stealing the canopy cover from my other Tamiya Beaufighter. I'll be painting it up & fitting it tonight! Just try to gobble up this one, vinyl monster! :dalek:

zenrat

I feel your pain mate.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 11, 2019, 01:55:27 AM

OK, f___cked-off-plus has been replaced by "I'll be buggered if this is going to beat me!" :angry:

I'm stealing the canopy cover from my other Tamiya Beaufighter. I'll be painting it up & fitting it tonight! Just try to gobble up this one, vinyl monster! :dalek:

Yeah! Go for it!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Been there, had that happen to me, got the t-shirt to prove it.  I feel your pain, mate.   I usually buy a fresh canopy off of EvilBay.   It is a pain when it happens.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

It was going so well. I really do feel for you.

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 11, 2019, 01:55:27 AM

Absolutely the right decision, this one needs to be finished. Worry about the second kit later when, hopefully, the canopy will have turned up  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I may just buy another Tamiya Mk.VI Beaufighter for what the one that just lost its canopy was to be for. ;D

The one I have may find itself sporting a rather fetching Soviet canopy from a MIG 21/SU-17 (not sure which but I know one of them came with two canopies standard). ;)

Old Wombat

Well, she's done! :D

No time for pictures tonight - I have to go to bed so I can get up to go to the Expo ... which starts in just over 6 hours! :o

kitnut617

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 11, 2019, 07:46:21 AM
I may just buy another Tamiya Mk.VI Beaufighter for what the one that just lost its canopy was to be for. ;D

Falcon Set No.40 has 1/48 Beaufighter canopies Guy ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 11, 2019, 09:20:31 AM
Well, she's done! :D

No time for pictures tonight - I have to go to bed so I can get up to go to the Expo ... which starts in just over 6 hours! :o

Which is a 1/4 of a day  :angel: ;D Enjoy  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 11, 2019, 03:42:38 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on October 11, 2019, 07:46:21 AM

Falcon Set No.40 has 1/48 Beaufighter canopies Guy ---

What & deny myself the opportunity to build a silly-whif? :o

Replacement already bought today at the Expo. I've just arrived home, having volunteered to assist with the judging. Interesting learning experience which may help me chose which models to take to shows.

And I may just have influenced SAPMA to have a "Military What If ..." section next year. ;D

Downloading todays photo's to SmugMug, will have them linked either tonight or tomorrow.

PS: Here's the Sea Beau

And I can tell you that none of my 3 builds placed. :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 12, 2019, 06:04:11 AM

And I can tell you that none of my 3 builds placed. :rolleyes:

Just proves none of the other judges know anything..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit