Supermarine S.7 (Crossed the Finish Line!)

Started by strobez, November 12, 2018, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

So... after sanding down the wings (which were a mess of flash and drips) I'm now not quite sure what I should do.

Should I try to recreate the thin ribs by glueing on some stretched sprue? Scribe panel lines? Run a line of rivet holes? Leave them smooth?

Any suggestions out there?
Thanks!

Greg

jcf

Those weren't ribs you sanded off, rather they were a crude
representation of the seams between the wing skin panels.

Lightly scribed lines as a replacement would look
much better.

zenrat

Nice photo Jon.  It has a strange appeal.  Function and form in harmony.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That must have been taken at the Solent Sky museum, of the S6 N248, as the S6B S1595 is hung in the ceiling of the Science Museum and you'd have to be 30+ft tall to get a shot like that.  ;D

For a long time N248 was badged up as S1596, the World Speed Record aircraft, until sanity prevailed and they re-painted it correctly.

Standing up close to something like that you can almost FEEL the history, quite amazing.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

For all kinds of good reasons and a few bad ones, I lost a bit of steam on this build.  Luckily after a little bit of indifference and then a wee bit of a slog, I seem to have climbed the hill and we're staring down the other side now... and then there will be rigging....

Anyway, I got the whole thing glued together and then added a few bits intended to turn an S.6 into a mythical S.7.  I refrained from making any massive changes because I wanted the pedigree to shine through.

Of course, with a kit this old... there was putty a plenty!  I think this is partly where I lost my mojo.  I got most of the sanding done and then the landing struts snapped off... probably because they're basically glued to air.  After re-anchoring them it was back to the putty and sanding.... endless sanding...

Eventually though, I did get it whipped into shape.  I discovered after painting that there's still a bit of a seam visible along the top of the floats... but by that time I really didn't care that much.  I was able to sand down the wing ribs (mainly to get rid of the annoying plastic dribbles and other moulding errors).

After painting the whole thing silver, I masked it up and got ready for some blue.

The blue looks okay.  At first I thought it might be a bit too dark, but I think I just need to make a few adjustments to the livery details instead.

Yeah, looks okay... but I'm going to adjust it a bit I think.

Thanks!

Greg

major

PR19_Kit

That's more than 'Okay' Greg, it looks amazing!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Caveman

Concur with the above honourable gentleman's carefully considered comment of commendation.
secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Leading Observer

That's looking mighty fine! :thumbsup:
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Oh my, it does look the business, especially in that scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Sweet. And another proof that any aircraft looks potentially better when you add a contraprop!  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Looks nice, are you sure the second propeller goes in the opposite direction? Hard to tell from the pictures   :-\

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

perttime

It IS hard to tell which way the props are in the photos.
What is the new bump between the cylinder blocks?

Some race numbers, serial, and other detail should finish it well.