Supermarine S.7 (Crossed the Finish Line!)

Started by strobez, November 12, 2018, 12:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

strobez

Quote from: perttime on December 22, 2018, 10:59:30 AM
It IS hard to tell which way the props are in the photos.
What is the new bump between the cylinder blocks?

Some race numbers, serial, and other detail should finish it well.

I may... or may not... have put the second prop on backwards for the pictures... I just slipped it over the shaft and stuck the whole thing on the front of the plane.  Nice to see the sharp-eyed viewers are keeping tabs though~

As for the bump... that's the nitrous oxide tank to make the S.7 spit green flame and go faster than an S.6... :)
Thanks!

Greg

Gondor

Quote from: strobez on December 22, 2018, 06:12:58 PM
Quote from: perttime on December 22, 2018, 10:59:30 AM
It IS hard to tell which way the props are in the photos.
What is the new bump between the cylinder blocks?

Some race numbers, serial, and other detail should finish it well.

I may... or may not... have put the second prop on backwards for the pictures...

Actually it will not matter which way around you put a wrongly handed propeller, it will still be wrongly handed.

You need the blades to look either like this /\ or this \/ for them to be a contra prop as if they look like \\ or // then they are two props going in the same direction.

Hope that helps  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

strobez

Sorry for the lack of updates, the Christmas season was a bit frantic, but luckily the new year has given me a few moments to complete this project.

So let's dive right in. First up, some more masking... hope I didn't miss a spot!

Only a couple of small masking errors. Looking pretty good now.

Not sure about the rigging, but after several failed attempts using different materials, I'll take what I can get.

A bit extra around the engine... just because.

A close up on the cockpit.  Can't really see the decal instrument panel, but I think the scratchbuilt windscreen works better than the kit part.  It's thinner at least.

Tail painted, but I decided to redo the rigging... it never seems to want to come out the way I envision it, but oh, well.

There we are... done.

And a few galmour shots...

All in all a fun little build.  The rigging gave me fits, I just can't seem to settle on a method that works for me.  This time I finally just used stretched sprue, but I tried various wires, threads and hairs.  Oh well, I'm happy enough with my offering to the racing group build.
Thanks!

Greg

dumaniac

Very nice.  I have just attempted my first biplane with rigging. Yes - it does not look as good as I see on other modellers kits.

Your model is delightful. Thanks for sharing.

Bernie

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That is just gorgeous  :wub:

Quote from: dumaniac on January 05, 2019, 12:31:45 AM
Very nice.  I have just attempted my first biplane with rigging. Yes - it does not look as good as I see on other modellers kits.

I'm told you just have to keep experimenting until you find a system that suits you and then "just" keep practicing. I'm 66 now and I'm still practicing  :banghead: Still got my first Wingnut Wings kit at Telford so we shall see how I get on with that. It's only got minimal rigging as it's a Junkers D.1  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That S7 is MAGNIFICENT Greg!

Super work all round, and it really looks like a 'Son-of-S6B'.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

An extremely well presented and totally believable model. WELL DONE!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

A contra-prop makes a whole lot of sense for such a seaplane.

One of the S6 series problems was that the immense torque generated by the R engine caused the aircraft to roll to one side while taxying, so much so that one float is longer than the other to counteract that. IIRC the starboard float is the longer one, but I could be wrong.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

zenrat

Anyone built a single float version?
S8, with a surface cooled RR Vulture.

*although that might require more area than is available on an aircraft this small...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Sweet! :thumbsup:

You like to play in the big scales, don't you. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Thank you gentlemen.  I'm just glad she looks the part.  I'm a fan of these Schneider Cup float planes and flying boats, so I wanted to get in an entry for this GB after taking a pass on the RAF one.

I'm pretty sure I'll stick to 1/144 and 1/72 for the near to medium future since I'm already running short on space.  But I do have my eye on a 1/72 L-749 Constellation from Heller, so that'll be big enough I'm sure.
Thanks!

Greg